forgot to put center cap in airlock on secondary....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

02883r

Reaction score
Well.... I am a little green to home brewing, but I love doing it and am learning as I go. I just noticed last night that I put water in the airlock and put the cap on it but didn't put the center cap in (the little thing that sits in the center in the water inside the airlock)..... It has been in the secondary fermenter for one week almost to the day. When I noticed it, I put a new airlock in it (with all parts this time.... ).

Did I ruin my batch?

-Doug

Should be fine. I would not worry at all. Your beer is probably pushing out CO2 anyways, not likely that anything would get in.

Well.... I am a little green to home brewing, but I love doing it and am learning as I go. I just noticed last night that I put water in the airlock and put the cap on it but didn't put the center cap in (the little thing that sits in the center in the water inside the airlock)..... It has been in the secondary fermenter for one week almost to the day. When I noticed it, I put a new airlock in it (with all parts this time.... ).

Did I ruin my batch?

-Doug

I doubt it very much. It was still covered by the cap. It would take a colossal stretch of bad luck to have something fall through the top of the air lock and down that center hole. I'm sure it's fine. Side note, I would put Star-san or something like that in the airlock instead of just water (if that's what you used).

Should be fine. I would not worry at all. Your beer is probably pushing out CO2 anyways, not likely that anything would get in.

Thank you for the response! I guess I am just paranoid, I really don't want to waste a whole batch.....

I doubt it very much. It was still covered by the cap. It would take a colossal stretch of bad luck to have something fall through the top of the air lock and down that center hole. I'm sure it's fine. Side note, I would put Star-san or something like that in the airlock instead of just water (if that's what you used).

Thank you for the tip! I will start using something other than water..... Is the one-step or sanitizer acceptable to use?

Is there anything specific I should look for to see if something did go wrong? How can I tell if the batch went bad?

I've done that too a couple of times. Didn't have any problems, no infections or off flavors. Don't worry about it.

Is there anything specific I should look for to see if something did go wrong? How can I tell if the batch went bad?

If you start seeing fuzzy floaties at the top of the beer in secondary after a week or so, then I'd be worried. If it's just yeasty floaties, or bubbles, you're golden. Don't worry about it too much. There's alcohol and CO2 working against any infectious buggers!

Back