Saving sanitizor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edpietrzak

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been repeated, couldn't do a good search on my phone.

Can you save sanitizor solution? I'm transferring my first batch to a secondary on sunday and was planning on mixing the sanitizor solution in a five gallon carboy to sanitize that, but then I was going to pour that into a 42 qt. Storage tub to sanitize all the siphoning equipment. After I'm done sanitizing the equipment can I just cover the storage bin and save the solution until bottling day?
Thanks.

It depends on what sanitizer you are using and what you dillute it with. If you're using sarsan with distilled water you can save it for weeks if not months in a sealed container (and you check it's viability with ph test strips.)

Iodophor you can store at least a day, possible up to a weak, and when it loses the straw color and looks like water it's no longer viable.

Any other type can't store.

or, if you want to really save time and sanitizer, don't move it to secondary ;)
Ferment a few weeks in primary, check gravity with a hydrometer and bottle.

I am using star san with tap water. My main reason for transferring is do I can open up my fermentor to start batch number two.

Back