Forced Carbonation - how long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i don't keg yet but i've read a bit about it. i've heard that if you don't want to shake the keg, you can put it in a cooler with ice, put it in the back of your car/truck/van and take a short drive! the vibration of the car help speed every thing up.

With my Sprinter van's suspension, shaking the keg would be kinder!

Maybe set the keg on the washing machine?

Simon Morris said:
I can find out about all the pressures and temps i should use but for how long?

You need to leave the CO2 connected and set to your desired pressure for as long as there's beer in the keg. If you were to remove the gas line, the beer would get flatter and flatter with each pint you draw off.

How important is precise carbonation level to you? If it is, avoid the 30 psi and shake it method.

You can end up over carbed or under carbed depending on the style. Set the pressure and let it sit refigerated at the pressure you've chosen to match the carbonation level for your storeage temp. Hey if you want to occasionally shake the keg to speed up the process, go ahead but don't exceed the pressure you've chosen to achieve the carbonation level you're targeting.

I'm drawing from a keg of Ordinary Bitter that has only got 3 pounds on it and the head and carbonation level are perfect.

Back