Does the band-aid taste go away?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
I have a porter that has the 'band-aid' taste and plastic smell to it. Will the taste go away after time or should I dump it?

It does not go away, and in my experience, the beer does not become drinkable after time.

On the other hand if you have the space to store it for a few months, it may become more palatable. Or you can cook with it, or distill it.

my pallet is pretty sensitive to that bandaid phenol. It will fade over time but never really go completely away. I know you said it's a stout, but higher carb level and serving colder helps.

Let someone else taste it. See what they think.

how old is the beer, and have you determined why it tastes like a bandaid yet?

Echoing the sentiments here. I have never found many off-flavor type phenols (band-aid, rubber, etc.) to go away. When I detect these, I generally dump it and try again.

It won't just come from chlorine, though. Yeast stress (underpitch, high temps, temp swings) may all contribute.

or also high chloramine in your water i believe? i had the bandaid curse for a short time and blamed my use of bleach as a sanitizer. never again bleach, never again.

Chlorine/chloramine is the most common cause, although it can also result from infection, spoilage, improper mash/sparge temps and pH, poor hot/cold break, some yeast varieties, and probably some other stuff I can't think of right now.

Back