Carbonating with dry ice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwetschgen

Reaction score
:rockin: I would like to carbonate my rootbeer using dry ice in bottles. Obviously I will be using plastic bottles. Has anyone tried this before? I would like to have a general idea as to how much dry ice to add to a bottle to carbonate without the whole exploding bottle thing.

Yes folks have done it and made very dangerous bombs. It is a terrible idea. Some where there is a thread on here that was done for education purposes showing what a bad idea it is.

I think the leaving it covered but un-sealed is the difference between "Funny video / Bad idea" and "ooo yummy, we should do this every 4th of July"

Thanks for the idea ZeroTucker

ZeroTucker
That how we do it! Except we add a little vanilla extract too. MMMM good.

If you want a very good twist, make a rum and homemade root beer instead of rum and coke.

The wife was making homemade root beer floats at the Saturday rodeo once and there was about 3 gallons left from 10 to take home. The only bucket we had was vanilla ice cream buckets so in it went. There was enough ice cream left in it to taste like a very good root beer float, and when we added the Captain Morgan, WOW.

Talk about GOOOOOD. A couple friends and me didnt have any problems finishing that off with about a gallon of rum by Sunday night!:tank:

Seeing as rum is my #2 drink of choice after beer, I'll have to try this.

OK, back on topic...

Zwetschgen,

It is definitely not a bad idea. I've done it tons of time. I posted the recipe on my website if you want to check it out. It will tell you just how much dry ice you need and how to make it. Enjoy!

http://dryicenetwork.com/dry-ice-food/dry-ice-root-beer/
So it says "do not create an air-tight seal". How do you bottle without creating at least a somewhat air tight seal? I have pet bottles and have only used yeast to carbonate up to this point, but this sounds interesting.

So it says "do not create an air-tight seal". How do you bottle without creating at least a somewhat air tight seal? I have pet bottles and have only used yeast to carbonate up to this point, but this sounds interesting.

OK, I get it, it's referring to the 1 hour it sits in the dry ice, but can you bottle at the end of that?

Yes, exactly. Dry ice is nothing more than frozen carbon dioxide. When it sublimates ("melts") it turns in to CO2 gas. This is what will carbonate the rootbeer. You need to cover it to keep the carbon dioxide in.

After it is done you should be able to bottle it without any problems. The reason that you can then put an air tight seal on it afterwards is because all of the dry ice is gone at that point. The pressurization comes from the dry ice expanding when it sublimates in to a gas.

I've never bottled the root beer, but it makes sense that it will stay carbonated. The carbon dioxide would have no where to go... so i think it would stay fizzy. Let me know if you try it.

Back