4 gallon water bottle $4.88

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kajon

Reaction score
I was at Sam's Club today and bought a 4 gallon bottle of water for $4.88. The bottle is #1 PET. I will be using this for small batches. Thought it was a pretty good deal and just wanted to pass it on.

What size neck do these have? Will they take a standard size stopper or carboy cap?

Sounds like these might be a perfect size to ferment batches for 3 gallon kegs.

the necks are the same as a culligan bottle. they are made for using in a water cooler.

I have about 9 of them. I have a cooler at my office and go through about 2 a month. It was a pain with the other brand in the 5 gallon containers water was about the same price but 5$ deposit on each.

I have been crushing them after a couple brews and putting them in recycle.

I have about 9 of them. I have a cooler at my office and go through about 2 a month. It was a pain with the other brand in the 5 gallon containers water was about the same price but 5$ deposit on each.

I have been crushing them after a couple brews and putting them in recycle.

Why pitch them? Do they get grundgy, or is it the fact that you get a lot of them?

I've seen these, but never thought to check the type of plastic. While I won't ferment beer in them, other uses occur to me, like the one shown in the video, and I can use one to cut down as a hopper for my grain mill. The 4 gal. of water (I have to use store bought water to brew) that comes with them makes the price more like $3.50, which is pretty attractive.

I've seen these, but never thought to check the type of plastic. While I won't ferment beer in them, other uses occur to me, like the one shown in the video, and I can use one to cut down as a hopper for my grain mill. The 4 gal. of water (I have to use store bought water to brew) that comes with them makes the price more like $3.50, which is pretty attractive.

if you do 3 gallon brews why wouldn't use them for beer? They are made of PETE #1 just like a BB and they are food safe.

I don't have the room for them and they are thin so they do tend to start cracking at the neck and base so I recycle them.

Are they thinner than the 5 gallon water bottles? I have been using a 5 gallon and have noticed how thin it it compared to my Better Bottles.

I just bought one on these bottle myself. I'm planning on using mine for MR. Beer kits and using the MRB keg for priming and bottling.

These bottles are much thinner than 5 gallon bottles. They crinkle if you carry them under your arm and would dent easily if dropped. I just wanted one as a cheaper alternative to going whole hog on a starter kit.

My LBHS (Midwest Supplies) is out of the universal currently... do you have a approx. diameter so I can get the non-universal? Thanks!

Reviving a dead thread here, but I found two of these bottles this morning when I stopped off at the neighborhood recycle bins. Picked up the first one and saw PET and grabbed the second one(there's a third I'm going back for on my lunch break, I'm one of those people) Figured I would research online and see what I could find and low and behold, back to my favorite forum.:mug:

Back