HOP DROP Double IIPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJBrewer

Reaction score
Here is my idea for a "double IIPA" Low on the malt and heavy on the hops.

6gal batch

13lbs 2-row
4lbs Flaked Maize
1lb Corn sugar

1oz Apollo-FWH
1oz Zeus-90 min
1oz Summit-60 min
1oz Chinook-45 min
1oz Columbus-30 min
1oz Simcoe-15 min
1oz Amarillo-15 min
1oz Cascade-10 min
1oz Amarillo-10 min
1oz Cascade-5 min
1oz Simcoe- 5 min
1oz Cascade- flameout
1oz Amarillo- flameout

Dryhop 2 weeks
1oz Amarillo
1oz Colunbus

Keg Hops 2 weeks
1oz Simcoe
1oz cascade

Yeast?? dont know yet.

Its a little off the wall with the hops, but yet that the point! What is your 2 cents?:drunk::drunk::drunk:

I recently made an IPA with a very similar late hop schedule and ended up with an amazing hop flavor and aroma. I only used about .6oz of combined hops for each late addition. That is almost a quarter of what you have for some of those additions. I'm sure what you have will taste amazing, I'm just not sure you would notice a difference if you reduced some of your late hop additions a little. Save some hops to brew another day. Just my 2 cents.

I understand what you are going for here, but.... I feel balance is very important in all beers. I would suggest adding some munich to balance. With all those hops you won't end up with a malt bomb. Just my .02

I can see what you are wanting to do. Have a dry hoppy beer. Maybe some cara pils or carafa to help with the malt flavor. Maybe even some Marris otter. 7lbs 2-row 6lbs marris otter. Its going to be super hoppy no matter what!

I agree - the hops schedule sounds great - but haviing brewed many single and double IPA's, I would dump the maize and the corn sugar and add in a couple pounds of cara pils and/or munich and maybe a half pound of Crystal 20 or 40.

On the yeast I would go with White Labs California Ale Yeast.

Just my opinion.

Back