DFH 120; not impressed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjzelectric

Reaction score
Im a huge fan if Dogfish head in general. My favorite IPA on the market is the 60 minute. The 90 is really good to. I found a store nearby that had the 120 so I figured Id splurge and spend the $10 for 1 12oz bottle. Its 20% abv for gods sake. I wasnt impressed. Maybe its just me but it wasnt nearly as hoppy as I was hoping. Too sweet. Almost reminded me of drinking liquor like captain morgans or soco. Anyone else try this brew?

bjzelectric,
You should try it on tap. It still isn't one of my favorites but I felt it was a little better balanced. I agree with you about the 60 min, it has really become my standard go-to beer. The Gaithersburg Alehouse has the Burton Baton. If you like DFH, you really should try this one. It is a combination of an oak-aged strong ale and the 90. I have had it several times and really can't seem to get enough of it. It definitely has the DFH sweetness, but has a more pronounced maltiness and a stronger hop bite. I think it is the best brew they currently offer. You really should try a glass before it is gone.
Check the website for the current taps at the MD and VA alehouses:
Dogfish Head Ale House | Beer - THE BEERS

Jason

I found it very sweet and very hoppy. Not bitter, but hoppy. I liked it, but was expecting something really out there.

I am always puzzled though when people say "its like drinking rum or whiskey or something", doesn't taste any where near as strong to me :)

Your mileage may vary, worth trying though, wasn't it?

Sean

never had it on tap, but I agree that it wasn't great out of the bottle. Not bad, but I won't be shelling out another 10 bucks anytime soon. I feel like they were just going a little too crazy on that brew. Why does it have to be 20% ABV? if they made it like 12%, it would be a lot better, IMO.

That said, it took me about 3 hours to drink 12 oz of it, so it is some respectable beer. It takes a lot to get a beer up to 20% ABV, from what I understand.

I've had it on tap, and I like the 60 and 90 better. It's still really sweet on tap, though I suppose maybe a bit hoppier. Certainly still an interesting and not unpleasant beer, but more isn't always better, in my opinion. I think that that level of maltiness can't really be balanced in terms of bitterness, given the limits of what the palate can perceive.

Yea Ive been to the Gaithersburg ale house once, I NEED to make it back. I dont think thay had the 120 when I was there but still the selection is awesome and I really want to try the Burton and Black and Blue when its available.

I've had it on tap, and I like the 60 and 90 better. It's still really sweet on tap, though I suppose maybe a bit hoppier. Certainly still an interesting and not unpleasant beer, but more isn't always better, in my opinion. I think that that level of maltiness can't really be balanced in terms of bitterness, given the limits of what the palate can perceive.

Yeah, If you had some sort of super-human palate, I bet it would be fantastic! It's just too much, though. Doesn't taste like an IPA.

Im a huge fan if Dogfish head in general. My favorite IPA on the market is the 60 minute. The 90 is really good to. I found a store nearby that had the 120 so I figured Id splurge and spend the $10 for 1 12oz bottle. Its 20% abv for gods sake. I wasnt impressed. Maybe its just me but it wasnt nearly as hoppy as I was hoping. Too sweet. Almost reminded me of drinking liquor like captain morgans or soco. Anyone else try this brew?
I had the same impression. Way too sweet for what I was expecting. Oh well, live and learn I suppose.

Why does it have to be 20% ABV?

Bragging rights.

This is definitely a dessert beer. 2-3 ounces sipped after a meal. I cannot imaging trying to drink a glass of it, much less a pint.

I didn't care for it either. I respect it for what it is, but I just didn't find drinking it to be an enjoyable experience. That's probably just as well, given the price. A while back I bought a similarly high-priced bottle from the liquor store and the guy said, "Wow, I hope you like it." I answered, "Yeah? I hope I don't."

Latest posts

Back