about pilsner malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gildog

Reaction score
i was just doing some research on malt before brewing my second batch, and i came across a source that said that carapils malt needs another malt to break down the starches.

i just bought 3 lbs of grain label simply "pilsner" from the LHBS and im worried, am i going to have to go get another malt to mash with this, or should i be ok?

Pilsner malt should have plenty of diastatic power to self-convert but carapils is a different malt all together. Carapils does not have any diastatic power and so must be mashed or steeped in order to extract its goodness.

Pilsner malt should have plenty of diastatic power to self-convert but carapils is a different malt all together. Carapils does not have any diastatic power and so must be mashed or steeped in order to extract its goodness.

how do i tell all i have is a plastic bag with "pilsner" written in sharpy...

Did you ask for Pilsner, or did you ask for Carapils?

Or call your LHBS if it was recently and ask.

-bn

Chew a few grains. Carapils is really hard, like you would worry about any fillings you might have. Pilsner you would have no trouble chewing.

Oh, I"m sorry I misunderstood your question- I thought you were asking if pilsner and carapils could be mashed together.

If your bag says "Pilsner" on it, I would bet that it's not CaraPils, one of the brand names for dextrine malt.

As the others say, taste it. Pilsner malt is chewy, not hard.

Back