Batch Sparge Temp...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawgbranch

Reaction score
There have been several threads discussing bringing the Mash Temps up to 170ish. Some say that you need around 190 temps to raise 150ish to 170.

If you are double sparging, would your second sparge temps needs to be lower since you arent working with raising Mash Temps anymore?
If your second sparge is at 190 wouldnt you raise your temps into dangerous Tannin levels?

Yes, you have it right. The second addition does not need to be quite so high. I usually add at 170 or so.

I always pour out my first split then place my hlt on the garage floor where it's cooler, first sparge is around 195f, by the time I vorlauf and drain, the remaining water is around 175f to 180f, which is near perfect.

I am sparging with 6 gallons total, 3 each. But, I am heating all 6 gallons together. Outside temp is about 53 right now so maybe it will cool enough during the first sparge.
Do you think it would hurt to let the first sparge rest for about 10 or 15 minutes after stirring? I have read where it doesnt really help when you are batch sparging but, if it wouldnt hurt, that would give me a few extra minutes to let my remaining 3 gallons cool.....
Thanks for the tips!!

Brew Hard!!

I am sparging with 6 gallons total, 3 each. But, I am heating all 6 gallons together. Outside temp is about 53 right now so maybe it will cool enough during the first sparge.
Do you think it would hurt to let the first sparge rest for about 10 or 15 minutes after stirring? I have read where it doesnt really help when you are batch sparging but, if it wouldnt hurt, that would give me a few extra minutes to let my remaining 3 gallons cool.....
Thanks for the tips!!

Brew Hard!!

That's fine, but remember it will take time to vorlouf and drain the tun, I think it takes me about 10-15 minutes to pour, stir and drain the tun. So waiting extra, may not be necessary.

Back