Caps With Cork Seals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It seems that the caps in use today are different than the ones I used y e a r s ago.. That may/not be part of the problems I had with taste back then.. but it was more likely the ingredients available in the early 60's.

That said. Do the crown caps with cork get sanitized the same way as the ones with the plastic lining? Would one simply soak the caps in StarSan or ?

Thanks

Nice to see somebody else is around that can even remember cork caps. All I can tell you is that when I brewed with my dad in my younger days we cleaned everything with bleach...caps included. I still use bleach for caps on occasion...just make sure to rinse well. That said I woud bet that Star San would do a great job. I would hang on to a few as collectors. I know we always bought printed caps as there was no such thing as caps made only for home brewers. He would use a different cap on each batch and use it to identify the brew.

Boy,does this bring back memories. When I was a middle teen,my dad brewed a stout with that anise kind of flavor in it. he used those style caps on it. It carbonated ok,but not like mine today,at least in my memory. But man,3 of those def had you "3 sheets to the wind"! Strong for a stout back then. I remember we used to laugh together when he,my brother & I would drink it. You had to be sure you had nowhere else to go that evening for sure...:cross:
If it were me,I'd sell to beer paraphernalia collectors.

I have a big bag of them. About half are plain brass colored caps and the balance are from different soda manufacturers. Maybe not worth the "risk".. altho, when I tried brewing in the early 60's.. it wasn't a risk.. cuz that's all there was. Caps are cheap.. by contrast.. the fixn's aren't. :) Best go buy some new ones.

I still think it'd be fun to do some research into their value. Everything's valuable to someone. Maybe even collectors of soda pop memorabilia.

Caps are cheap.. by contrast.. the fixn's aren't. :) Best go buy some new ones.

I dunno... Wouldn't you want to try a batch with these? I should be able to cover 4 cases with this partial box. FREE!

More free brewing stuff... BOOYA! :rockin:

cork.lined.steel.caps.back.jpg

Cool.. I think mine are in a red box.. plus, as mentioned above, I have a bag of old/unused caps from beverage companies that I got from a guy that quit brewing back in the late 70's.

I'd guess ya'd want to star san the heck out of 'em tho :)

null.jpg

Good to see I'm not alone. I got a bunch of these caps from my grandfather who used to homebrew root beer. Couldn't make it to the lhbs today, but I had some oxy-barrier caps on hand enough for about half. So half will get the old school caps and half will get the modern ones.

Bottling up a double brew today. Hmmm 96 bottles, fun! 1 of these 2 two-hearted-esque clone had a continual hop schedule a-la DFH-60 and the other had an all late hopping schedule. Same yeast, same ferm temps and times, same dry-hopping, etc.... I'll run a control on a few bottles from each brew to see if the caps make any difference in carbonation or anything.

cork caps get boiled, the porous nature defeats a lot of wet contact sanitizers.

but if you did boil a cork cap today the decades old binder would probably fail.
They worked in the day, today they look cool on shelves.

Back