Clearing Lager at "Warmish" Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autobaun70

Reaction score
I have 20 Gallons of a lager currently sitting in my fermentation chamber. This particular recipe uses WY 2112, which I fermented (and am currently clearing) at 58 degrees. All 20 gallons is for a friends wedding, which is on June 1. My plan is to let it clear for about another 2 weeks, then keg and lager until the wedding.

My issue is that I am wanting to brew a batch of my house pale, which I normally use US-05 on, and ferment out 68 Degrees. It is going to be a while before I can brew again, and would like to work this in to keep the pipeline alive. Only problem, I am out of space in my keg fridge. Have room for the 4 lager fermenters in my fermentation chamber, + my 13 gallon primary.

Is it going to hurt anything to let the lager warm up to 68 for a couple of weeks while I work in this batch?

i'd use the ferm chamber just for a 4-5 days at 68° for the 05 - at that point it should be pretty much done and you can take it out and let it finish up at room temp and use the chamber to lager at cold temps.

you prob won't hurt your lager at 68 for a few weeks but prob get better results leaving at colder temps as long as you can

Thanks for the reply. I may stretch that to around 7 days, which is normally the point at which I cold crash anyway. US-05 in my experience works very fast, so that should work out perfectly.

Fortunately, I will be able to free up some of my space in a few weeks and move the wedding kegs to my neighbor (friend's parents) guest house fridge for the few months leading up to the wedding.

Is the beer in cornies? If so, put them in a bucket / ice bath...

It is not, my fermentation chamber will hold 4 garboy's (better bottles in my case) on the bottom shelf, + additional fermenters on the top shelf, but cornies are too tall to fit on the bottom. I've tried moving the top shelf up, but the clearance isn't quite there. It's hard to see in this picture, but if the top shelf goes up much further, the refrigeration coils in the back are almost touching the primary, pushing it too far forward for the door to close.

IMG_1567.jpg

Back