Farmhouse Brewing Pliny the Elder Recipe Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublehaul

Reaction score
I'd like to try this for my next brew -

http://farmhousebrewingsupply.com/ProdImages/1Pliny%20the%20Elder%20clone%20PDF-1.pdf

A few questions -

1. It says 8 gallons gross kettle volume / 5 gallons post fermentation, so 8 gallons Pre Boil Volume?

2. How does this look for ~ 72% efficiency compared to the original recipe?

15 lb Pale 2-Row 87%
0.7 lb Carapils (Dextrine Malt) 4.1%
0.7 lb Crystal 45L 4.1%
0.85 lb Corn Sugar - Dextrose 4.9%

3. Just stir the sugar into the start of the boil?

4. Anyone that has made this recipe - any advice?

I have never had Pliny, but I like the CTZ "dankness" and I like simcoe

Hi, I've not made this recipe, so with that caveat, here are my thoughts:

1. It says 8 gallons gross kettle volume / 5 gallons post fermentation, so 8 gallons Pre Boil Volume? yes

3. Just stir the sugar into the start of the boil? I usually add sugar in the recipe at the end of the boil, being careful not to caramelize it

Good luck with your brew!

The volumes are dependent on your particular system, not the recipe. If you usually start with 7 gallons to end up with 5.5, then that is what you will need here is well. You might up your "usual" by 0.25 gallons or so because Pliny uses a LOT of hops and they will hold some liquid.

The volumes are dependent on your particular system, not the recipe. If you usually start with 7 gallons to end up with 5.5, then that is what you will need here is well. You might up your "usual" by 0.25 gallons or so because Pliny uses a LOT of hops and they will hold some liquid.

that makes sense - thanks

Everyone's system is different, and whether you've got pellets or leaf will make a difference, but in general I add 1/2 gallon to my preboil volume for every 5oz of hops in the recipe. I think my last pliny clone I did 15.5g preboil to knock out 11g since I had over a pound of hops in the kettle.

Everyone's system is different, and whether you've got pellets or leaf will make a difference, but in general I add 1/2 gallon to my preboil volume for every 5oz of hops in the recipe. I think my last pliny clone I did 15.5g preboil to knock out 11g since I had over a pound of hops in the kettle.

Did you use this recipe? How did it turn out?

Its the RR-approved recipe that's floating around everywhere. Once it came out absolutely perfect, spot on in side-by-side test, another couple times its been really good but not perfect, which I chalk up to seasonal variations in both the hops I use and the hops RR uses.

The thing that confuses me is the grain bill is given as percentages. And you are usually told to adjust the base malt for efficiency. So i wonder if I should calculate the grain bill at 75% and then just up my 2 row instead of scaling everything like I did.

Back