StarSan option?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
joconn said:
Is there a generic equivelant to StarSan? Something I could pick up at my local HB shop?
Joe.
No, it is rather unique. However, there are a number of different no-rinse sanitizers available. The other really popular one is Iodophor.

Iodophor is ok, but as an Iodophor user I'm switching over to Star San. I'm convinced that Star San is a superior killer and has a better shelf life. Plus on top of all that, Charlie Talley (founder of 5 Star, makers of Star San) is an amazing supporter of homebrew, and an all around cool guy.

It's not exceedingly expensive, from midwestsupplies.com
Iodophor, 32oz= 9.95
Star San, 32 oz= 11.95

Both are used at 1 oz/ 5 gallons, so you're looking at $2 total difference.

Iodophor will stain plastics adn anything porous. Thus its great for glass carboys and keg sanitizing....not so great for plastic brew buckets/bottling buckets or any hoses.

Your LHBS should either stock StarSan, or be able to get some for you. My brewshop has One-Step, Iodophor, StarSan, and one other I can't think of, plus PBW, B-Brite, Straight-A, and the other typical cleansers.

It is improtant to note: the staining that idophor does is harmless and amounts to a minor cosmetic change that has zero impact on usability of the item.

Just saying.

(For the record: I am a Star San user.)

Back