Foam layer on top of beer while in secondary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castillo

Reaction score
I had it in primary for 2 weeks then racked to secondary 4 days ago. About a day ago what looks like foam started to form on top of the beer. Anyone know what that is? See photo below.

IMG_0910a.jpg

Looks like Krausen but that would be weird for secondary. What was your projected FG and what was the current gravity at secondary?

you may have stirred up some uneaten sugars and restarted a mini fermentation. If it doesn't go away in a few days then I would be worried. If you look close there is condensation on the inside of the carboy so that means that the liquid is warmer than the class and is transpiring o2 and water vapor, I think. Therefore, IMO, you may have restarted it for a few days.

You can also disturb the co2 that is in the beer and get some head forming, or if the temp rises co2 might come out of solution

If you didn't take 2 consequetive grav readings to see if fermentation was finished, the you racked too soon, and it's not uncommon then for krausens to form on top of the secondary...and then for new brewers to start "is my beer infected" threads about it. ;)

You're fine.

Latest posts

Back