So, you are at a non-craft beer place... What do you order?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KoedBrew

Reaction score
So, you have all been there. You are at a bar or restaurant watching a game or hanging with some friends and the only beer on the menu is B/M/C and in my case Yuengling is also on the list here in PA.

What do you do? I don't drink liquor, and wine is considered too feminine by some, if I even want that sleeping pill. So what do you order?

Personally, I have stopped drinking, unless there is a high quality beer that I want to drink. Even if like Hoegarden, and Guiness are on tap I will not drink a beer.
I am still trying to fight off allowing a beer gut to form on my midsection, so I allow myself to "take nights off" from drinking when I go somewhere without what I consider good beer.
So now I am an ultra beer snob to these guys who only see me drinking my beer or some really expensive stuff that they are afraid to try.

Is this just me? I honestly can not drink the mass produced beers anymore, my tastebuds have been spoiled. The closest thing to a major brew that I can drink is some Sam Adams (but even that is tough anymore).

I'll take a Yuengling or Hoegaarden over Boston Lager, but all three are decent beers in my opinion. But I rarely go to places that don't have good beer on tap when I want to drink, and thankfully, most places around town at least carry some Swamp Head beers now.

Your tastes and preferences are your call. I can understand the opportunity to fight the beer gut. I love beer in almost all forms, and always find something on the menu to order. It's never my first choice , but drinkable/enjoyable.

are you sure you didn't mean to post this on BA?

+ 1,000

EAC bmc bashing threads are so tiring..... :rolleyes:

I don't like rice adjuncted light lagers, or rice adjuncted lagers in general, not because they're BMC, or made by the "evil empire" and I'm "better" than those folks that drink it, but because they contain rice. So I don't like bud, bud light or sapporo for instance. But if other folks do, it's their choice. If that's all that's available, I'll drink wine or mixed drinks.

BUT, if they have Sam Adam's or Guinness, or an "MC" beer that is corn adjuncted, such as Miller, or Michelob, or more than likely here in Michigan Labatt's (like when I'm at a hockey game,) and if I'm in the mood for a beer, then I'll have that.

It's beer for chrissakes.....it's all about what you like, it's not about elitism.

:mug:Stop being so pompous and have a Highlife.:mug:

... and yeah, High Life ain't a bad beer, especially if you're eating pub-grub kind of food. I'd rather have a nice IPA, but High Life, or a Molson or Labatt's Blue (if I'm up in Buffalo), those go down pretty nice when eating pizza or burgers, too.

Reevy - Do you really have to bash people all the time?
1. I am assuming you are talking about BeerAdvocate?
2. What is EAC?
3. I have never bashed bmc on here before and I really am not with this post....Did you read the subject? What do you order? I just said I won't drink them, how is that bashing???

You have some great posts on here Reevy, but there are also people who don't even bother posting on this site anymore because of your comments to them after posting a question.

... and yeah, High Life ain't a bad beer, especially if you're eating pub-grub kind of food. I'd rather have a nice IPA, but High Life, or a Molson or Labatt's Blue (if I'm up in Buffalo), those go down pretty nice when eating pizza or burgers, too.

Now that Yuengling's hit Ohio, some of the guys from hbt went down and brought some up here. I'm really impressed with their "Traditional Lager" and the Lord Chesterfield's ales. But really more so with the lager. It's rich and full flavored.

I don't understand why some people will order a beer if they don't think they would enjoy it. If you are at a restaurant and they have a poor beer selection get some water. If you're spending money on it you have the right to enjoy it. For me Beer is a treat. I don't want to not enjoy it. It seems like people feel they need to get something alcoholic.

reevy - do you really have to bash people all the time?

You have some great posts on here reevy, but there are also people who don't even bother posting on this site anymore because of your comments to them after posting a question.

+1

the_bird said:
Really? You're that insecure, and/or that governed by other people's opinions? Really?

I sometimes will do a cosmopolitan and drink it through one of those little red straws ;) :mug:

2. What is EAC?
3. I have never bashed bmc on here before and I really am not with this post....Did you read the subject? What do you order? I just said I won't drink them, how is that bashing???

You have some great posts on here Reevy, but there are also people who don't even bother posting on this site anymore because of your comments to them after posting a question.

Someone called you pompous, someone else called you insecure in your masculinity, and you're saying I'm bashing you with MY post? Really? :confused:

Go back and read what I wrote....I answered what I drank and why....

And i'm sure you are smart enough to search for the answer to what EAC means. There's even a clue in my post.

And it's REVVY, not REEVY...

I usually order whatever i want. budget usually does not allow me to buy craft beer. Sam Addams lattitude 48 has been the most "crafty" brew ive been able to get in awhile. So for a place to have no good beer on tap is no big deal. Even if i could afford craft brews all the time I refuse to become such a snob as to not have a beer someplace cause all they have is domestic. And wine feminine? You need new friends/people to dine with.

Now that Yuengling's hit Ohio, some of the guys from hbt went down and brought some up here. I'm really impressed with their "Traditional Lager" and the Lord Chesterfield's ales. But really more so with the lager. It's rich and full flavored.

I love Yuengling. We visit my wife's family in Florida every year and every time we go I drink a ton of Yuengling. I think part of the appeal is that I can't get it here so it's kinda like the forbidden fruit, but I really do enjoy the stuff.

2. What is EAC?

+ 2

If the beer list is:

Light american lager, Light american lager, or Light american lager, I get a COKE.

Being in Pa, I have been known to consume some yuengling. Also ok with Sam Adams. Unless I'm at a micro, or a specialty bar, usually the best beer I can hope for on tap is magic hat which I enjoy.

re: EAC

I did a search for it and basically found a bunch of jokes about how hard it is to find the meaning to. Its some kind of HBT elitist inside joke or something. Probably not worth anyone's time or frustration.

Sometimes you need to be a little cheap beer coniesour there is nothing like a relaxing glass of past blue ribbon

If they only have beer, Michelob was the only beer I thought didn't taste nasty when growing up (I thought I hated beer for the 1st 30yrs of my life, then discovered I only hated the domestic crap we were getting served).

Otherwise, I'll just grab a rum and coke, and not talk about beer for the evening.

I wouldn't spend anytime with people who judge me by what I ordered.

Maybe a glass of wine and try to move the conversation to leg waxing. :eek:

More times than not, if I'm venturing out to the bar I will be found drinking a pint of lager (aka Yuengling), miller lite, or bud light. However, sitting at home you will never find me drinking any of the above unless it's a marathon drinking session.

For me it all comes down to a matter of price. When I can get a pint that stuff for a dollar or two or spend $6 for a more decent beer, I choose to spend less and drink more while at a bar; however, more than willing to invest into a decent case of beer since its substantially cheaper than the bars.

Though probably 3 out of 5 times I'll have people over rather than going out to the bar so it's more of a rarity for me to be drinking the cheaper whatnot.

re: EAC

I did a search for it and basically found a bunch of jokes about how hard it is to find the meaning to. Its some kind of HBT elitist inside joke or something. Probably not worth anyone's time or frustration.

I'm assuming here it means "elitist ******* *something*". But I've always known "EAC" to stand for "evil atheist conspiracy".

If you mean the spot only serves Bud or Miller then I would have water, coke, wine, sake, or whatever is appropriate for what I am eating. Beer is not always the answer! I am not a lager guy, so I just won't drink it, and it is no big deal as I am fine having something non-alcoholic when I am out.

And who says wine is feminine? As has been stated before, unless there is a major masculinity issue occurring then wine is not a problem. Otherwise you should be be doing shots of whiskey off of a stripper while punching a guy for being a nerd.

Steak and a glass of Cabernet is always a wonderful combination.

And which is more "feminine": drinking a glass of wine, or being concerned about your waistline from what you are eating? :p

It all comes down to personal tastes really.

In the rare instance I go out, I usually drink whatever is on special or free. I had problems with allergies, so I backed way off the BMC and Yuengling for a while. Funny someone mentioned Yuengling in Florida - I had a horrible reaction to it there while the yueng in PA never hit me that bad. I'm blaming the 'beechwood' for the bud allergy, and the preservatives in yuengs. Coors never gave me any problems, but then again, coors isn't really beer. As someone told me in college - Coors Light is like making love in a rowboat. F***ing close to water.

Amazingly since I've switched to homebrew, I have had no allergy problems.

Given those choices I'd probably order Yeungling since I can't get it here.

Otherwise I'd order whatever looked good. I'll drink basically whatever. I used to only like lite beer when I was a kid, then went all EAC, now I'm back to appreciating a light lager (but not a LITE beer).

But I may be in the mood for a mixed drink. I kind of learned to like the taste of bourbon since having a few bourbon stouts and whatnot. Maybe Jack and Coke if all they got is LITE beer.

In the rare instance I go out, I usually drink whatever is on special or free. I had problems with allergies, so I backed way off the BMC and Yuengling for a while. Funny someone mentioned Yuengling in Florida - I had a horrible reaction to it there while the yueng in PA never hit me that bad. I'm blaming the 'beechwood' for the bud allergy, and the preservatives in yuengs. Coors never gave me any problems, but then again, coors isn't really beer. As someone told me in college - Coors Light is like making love in a rowboat. F***ing close to water.

Amazingly since I've switched to homebrew, I have had no allergy problems.

Hmm... is Coors and Bod both made with rice? I prefer corn added, personally. That's why I choose Miller over Bud, or an all-malt beer over the others if it's available.

I would order a bud light, or a bud or hopefully a PBR if they carry it. And thoroughly enjoy it. And be happy it didn't cost an arm and a leg like most craft beers on tap. And not enter a bar thinking I am better than everyone else for irrationally hating BMC and those who drink it :)

Yuengling isn't bad, but I certainly wouldn't buy it if it wasnt $5 a six pack

It would be hard to find a place in Oregon that didn't have a decent IPA on tap, but if such a place existed, I'd go with PBR.

Personally if there was a decent selection and it came at a reasonable price I would get some scotch. OK, but you said that wasn't an option for you...

I'm not beyond drinking mass-produced beer if I am in the mood for a drink and that's my option. However, I don't feel like I have to drink just because I can drink, so if I don't feel like I have to drink, it's time for water. It's not worth the money and calories to drink just because I feel like I have to.

Irish Pub place... Guinness
some other... maybe a drink or Boston Lager, but often its an old keg so I ask to try it first

I have to finally ask... what the F is BMC? Now EAC? I am completely out of the loop here! Please someone make me more edumucated.

As I've read this post, no Revvy was not bashing.

Further, I'm with his mentality that beer is still beer. Sure, I will always end up ordering a higher quality beer when available, but if only BMC (maybe Yuengling or Natty Boh or other regional specialty) is available,then so be it. I drink one of those.

Do you only ever eat the highest quality gourmet food? Do you only shop at Whole Foods and never reduce yourself to eating such bourgeois things as non free-range chicken wings made from locally sourced chili peppers and fresh whole cream butter?

People really need to get over themselves and decide how much of this beer snobbery is just manufactured image pursuit. In the end it does nothing but hurt our hobby.

BMC=Bud/Miller/Coors
EAC=Still don't know :)

I usually just order water or coke if there are no choices other than light beers, and I am really not a fan of yuengling.

As, for wine, this past weekend while on Military Duty, many of those guys will give you a hard time about drinking wine, but I would still do it if I wanted wine and it fit the situation. We were in a bar watching a Phillies game, I just don't order wine in that situation...And wine can make me tired fast.

Someone called you pompous, someone else called you insecure in your masculinity, and you're saying I'm bashing you with MY post? Really? :confused:

Go back and read what I wrote....I answered what I drank and why....

And i'm sure you are smart enough to search for the answer to what EAC means. There's even a clue in my post.

And it's REVVY, not REEVY...

REVVY, I don't want an argument, I just wanted to discuss this, but this is at least the second maybe the third post I have made where you have said something I would consider a bash/insult...the guys that said the other two have never done that before.

As for what you wrote, you edited it, your original post was only
+ 1,000

EAC bmc bashing threads are so tiring..... :rolleyes:

Bud/Miller/Coors. EAC you have to find on your own :D

Thanks for the BMC definition. For EAC, I have looked around and all I have found is that folks on the forum tell people to look for the meaning of EAC. As far as I can find, E stands for "Elitist", which if you tell someone to find it becuase they are new and not in the know MAKES you an Elitist. Might be fun to say "Look it up on your own" but it comes off as being a jerk, to be honest.

Elitist A**h**e C**t?

Back