Good enough for Partial Mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bechard

Reaction score
Hey guys, is this bag in my 5 gallon pot going to work out? 6lb grain with 1.85 gallons water. Best I could do was use safety pins on two sides of the bag.

ForumRunner_20110703_195422.jpg

ForumRunner_20110703_195438.jpg

Thanks, I tossed it on 10 minutes ago and after pouring the strike water over the grains it looks perfect. Looks like a delicious runny oatmeal. This will be my fifth brew, but my first partial. Was just worried when I saw how big the 6lbs of grain was vs the water, but looks fine!

Thanks for the reassurance.

Now I'm going to RDWHAHB.

It's Kabe's Secret APA

Using 2nd Generation Wyeast 1056, and Centennial in place of Amarillo.

Almost time to sparge, and the mash is very sweet, I think I hit my temps pretty well.

Drinking some of my Brown Ale to "help me calculate".

The mash should definitely be sweet as the enzymes have converted the starch from your grain into sugars. Congrats, you performed your first saccharification rest!

Also, are you using the whole pound of honey malt? I hope so... absolutely love that stuff!

Hell yes its a full pound. Smells amazing. Im just bringing the temps up for the boil now.

Saving half the LME for knockout to preserve colour.

And whew! The 60 minute hop addition goes in to a rolling boil post hot-break.

4 mins to relax until next addition.

Don't save LME for knockout. It needs to be boiled for at least 5 minutes to make sure you've killed any buggies it could possibly have.

Don't save LME for knockout. It needs to be boiled for at least 5 minutes to make sure you've killed any buggies it could possibly have.

Really? I always added mine at or near flame out.

I mean, I pasteurize milk at 160 degrees, so I figured 208 degrees (boiling temperature where I live) would easily kill any microbes. It stays at over 200 degrees even after adding the LME so it would be hot enough for long enough.

Cool. Not being ready for all grain, I have always seen that boiling the extract darkened my beers too much (not that I am against dark beers, the lightest I drink is an amber). This would stop that but still give me food for my yeast buddies.

Even the short boil of my light DME darkened quite a bit while making my starter.

thanks again Yooper

Cool, thanks Yoop! It's been a bit of time since I used extract but I usually gave it 5 minutes. Next time I use some I'll try it at flameout!

Back