Planning a trip to Latvia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My sister is in the state department and my wife and I plan on visiting her next year in Riga, Latvia. It's a Baltic state so I'm thinking Baltic porter.

I can find Polish Baltic porters, but does anyone have a recipe for a Latvian Baltic porter?

I have spent a great deal of my life in Latvia, in fact on my last trip I made it my point to try as many different beers as I could find, I had to stop at 24, you can only drink so much.:drunk: But I gathered a lot of good information for me to start attempting to make some clones.
I am sad to say but there are no good "Baltic Porters" in Latvia
If you want a good "Baltic Porter" you should try a beer from next door, Lithuania, the beer is called "Porteris" brewed by Utenos.

The closest that you'll get to that in Latvia is
Stauts - Cesu Alus
Porteris - Aldaris
Tumsais - Lacplesa Alus (I think they might have changed the ingredients in this beer over last 2 years as it didn't taste anything like it used to)

Yeah, we're going to China this Fall, but I think it's about time for us to visit the homies in Lithuania (....if we can find any, that is....all I know is that my grandparents came from there in 1906, and literally nothing else) and tour the other Baltic states, maybe a side trip to Poland. I'd not only love to drink some of that Utenos Porteris, but get a recipe....

Back