how many brews can you get out of a propane tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerPressure

Reaction score
Does one single brew empty an entire propane tank or can you get multiple brews out of one tank? Upgrading to AG over the winter and i am just curious how much gas is used during a brew.

Aparently less than I think...since I've run out pre-boil on 2 of the last 5 batches!
I do fill my own at home...so it's not a huge deal, and I dont' get nearly as full as if I went to the propane dealer and had my tank filled.

Somewhere...there is a tread with this topic that has a ton of replies.....

going to depend greatly on your style of brewing. Meaning I throttle back my burner after I get a rolling boil my BIL doesn't so naturally he use's more propane than I. I also use a 30 lb tank they aren't much more than 20lbs but you can't readily exchange them its a fill only deal . I would get maybe 5 out of a 20lb tank .

I use 1.5 - 2lbs of propane per batch (Boil only! I do all my mash/sparge water on kitchen stove).

Full tank is around 33lbs, empty 18 difference = 15lbs/2 = 7.5. With a safety factor I'd say no more then 6 brews.

Latest posts

Back