PSA: Trim your IC lines!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
This probubly isn't ground breaking for most of you but I learned a lesson this weekend.

My IC has leaked maybe a cup or so of water into my last 2 or 3 brews and it was REALLY pissing me off. Finally this weekend i got the bright idea to trim the part that has the hose clamp on it....wahla! No more leaks!

I've had the IC for maybe a year or so now so I guess it makes since that it'll need to be trimed every once in a while.

Anyway just passing on the word :D

Yeah I had to do this when I bought mine. It was dripping to the amount that it was effecting my volume, not to mention the fact that it was dirty hose water going in there not being boiled.

I got tired of this happening, so now I have garden hose fittings on it. No more leaks or hoses flying off.

I got tired of this happening, so now I have garden hose fittings on it. No more leaks or hoses flying off.
Same with me. My first 25' IM that I purchased began leaking alos. So when I built for new 50' chiller I just soldered garden hose fittings on it and it works much better.

This probubly isn't ground breaking for most of you but I learned a lesson this weekend.

My IC has leaked maybe a cup or so of water into my last 2 or 3 brews and it was REALLY pissing me off. Finally this weekend i got the bright idea to trim the part that has the hose clamp on it....wahla! No more leaks!

I've had the IC for maybe a year or so now so I guess it makes since that it'll need to be trimed every once in a while.

Anyway just passing on the word :D

Sorry if this is a stupid quesiton, but what exactly do you mean you trimmed it? Illustration or pictures would help a visually oriented person like myself. :cross:

I have this problem too, and I just hate the idea of that nasty water dripping into the wort; I went as far as ordering a new IC that has hose fittings (gonna use the old one as a pre-chiller).

Hehe I don't think a pic is really necissary....I just cut off about an inch from the end of the tube...specifically the part that was crimped down by the worm clamp

Sorry if this is a stupid quesiton, but what exactly do you mean you trimmed it? Illustration or pictures would help a visually oriented person like myself. :cross:

I have this problem too, and I just hate the idea of that nasty water dripping into the wort; I went as far as ordering a new IC that has hose fittings (gonna use the old one as a pre-chiller).

Unscrew the clamps, take hose off, cut off about 1 inch of hose, put hose back on copper pipe, tighten clamps.

Over time, the clamps loosen, the hose gets weak there, the heating & expanding will get to it, and then it leaks and or comes off all together.

This way, you get a fresh grip when you trim your hose and reclamp.

Unscrew the clamps, take hose off, cut off about 1 inch of hose, put hose back on copper pipe, tighten clamps.

Over time, the clamps loosen, the hose gets weak there, the heating & expanding will get to it, and then it leaks and or comes off all together.

This way, you get a fresh grip when you trim your hose and reclamp.

That's what I was thinking he meant. Unfortunately, I had tried this but it didn't really help mine. I even put two clamps on each hose. Oh well, it'll make a good prechiller when the new IC arrives. :p

I thought you were going to tell me you picked up 5 efficiency points with a shorter line..........j/k ;)

I just fix any leaks I have by wrapping duct tape around everything.....j/k again... :D

Back