sigh, what yeast to use??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PUD

Reaction score
well i wanted to do some kind of wit, but my yeast selection might be a little off. here's what i have so far.

6lb belgian pils
3lb red wheat
1lb flaked wheat
6oz flaked oats
.5oz corrander
1oz orange peel
2oz mt hood

whitelabs california v ale or wyeast 3068 whnstphn w<---hefe type yeast.

austinhomebrew was out of the wit yeast i wanted so i got more of the yeast i used in the hefeweisen i had just brewed. thought i'd seen a post with some people using the WLP002(not sure? the other cali ale yeast) in a blue moon clone.

suggestions please! :mug:

I agree with Slim. some beer styles are generic enough that a variety of yeasts would work.

but some styles require the right yeast be used to fit the style. if you don't use a hefeweizen yeast, its NOT a hefeweizen. Wit yeast adds a certain 'something' to the beer. It will be beer if you use another yeast, but it won't have all the subtle flavors that help define witbier and separate it from other wheat beer recipes.

i'm leaning towards the california yeast. guess this will be a total experimental beer. woohoo! the hefe yeast put a distinct taste in my last batch that was yummy. i was just wondering how that taste would go with the corriander and orange peel. hmmmm, just don't think i want to try it!

Back