alternative to grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeromarco

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Just started brewing and i had a few problems with filtration. I didn't buy a grain mill so that the expenses won’t go off budget. I used that kitchen tool used to chop (don’t know the name in English) and the result was more like flour than a mash of grain. I believe the purpose of mashing is just opening the skin of the grain, wright?
As long as I keep doing the milling this way, I am sure I won’t get good results. My next recipe as more grain than the previous one, so my problems filtering the mash will get worse.
Does anyone know an alternative to the grain mill, some process I didn’t think, anything

Maybe try looking up Corona Mill. Some people on here use them.
I am guessing you don't have a local home brew shop that will mill them for you ?

Maybe try looking up Corona Mill. Some people on here use them.
I am guessing you don't have a local home brew shop that will mill them for you ?

No, i don't have brew shop near my town. I am Portuguese and as far as i know there are only 2 specialized stores in the whole country.
I was wondering if there is another effective process to do the milling at home, I have spent some time thinking about that and found no answer.

I'll second the corona mill as an inexpensive option. You might consider the BIAB method instead of a mash tun. It's less prone to a stuck sparge. You will end up with "flour" in the fermentor, but it will settle out with the yeast.

Back