Best yeast option for my White IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaz

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a White IPA tomorrow (Monday). This will be a ramped up version of a normal witbier recipe, upping the gravity to about 1.066 and the IBU to around 60-70. My question lies in the yeast prep for this batch. I have 3 options available to me.

1. WLP 400 from a fresh vial...make a starter today and pitch in about 24 hours. According to MrMalty, my starter would be 2L and I don't really like to pitch a whole 2L starter but I don't have time to crash and decant.

2. Pitch re-hydrated US-05, not really to style but I can pick up a couple packs tomorrow and be done with it.

3. Rack the fresh wort onto a a WLP400 yeast cake that I just racked off of today. This was from a batch of regular 1.050 witbier that I just kegged.

I'm leaning towards racking on to the yeast cake, it doesn't smell funky, I'm going from a weaker witbier to a stronger hoppier witbier, so I don't flavor carry over will be a problem. Any suggestions...thoughts....TIA

Pitching directly onto the cake will almost certainly be overpitching, which is especially problematic in yeast-forward beers like Wits. Why not wash the yeast from the previous batch and then use an actually proper amount?

I didn't think of the overpitching. I think I will give it at least a single washing and try to get about 110mL out of it. Thanks!

I thought a whit IPA was a standard IPA with wheat malt and possibly some citrus or spice addition. S-05 seems to be more to style than a wheat yeast.

I can't say I'm too familiar with white IPAs.

Curious as to how this turned out -- am considering brewing a white IPA next and am not sure which direction to go with the yeast.

Back