What to stock in pub!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhCrap

Reaction score
Ok so I can't officially sell my own beers in the pub but I can give people the choice of something different
I currently have on tap Guinness, carling, Heineken, smithwicks, Budweiser and blue moon. I know I know, the evil ones, but I'm getting brew dogs punk IPA on draft. The distributor have a serious bottle range. What to stock to give a good choice is where I'm stuck, don't say all :)
Here is a link to them , showing there bottle range http://www.fourcorners.ie/#url click on th "Beers" tab
Any suggestions would be welcome

Looking at the list,here's what looks good to me;
Brooklyn Lager
Brooklyn Winter Ale
Brew Dog Libertine Black Ale
Hofbrau Oktoberfestbeir

unionrdr said:
Looking at the list,here's what looks good to me;
Brooklyn Lager
Brooklyn Winter Ale
Brew Dog Libertine Black Ale
Hofbrau Oktoberfestbeir

Ok that's a good choice
I was thinking aswell
Tokyo
Sink the Bismarck (only 1 per customer)

Sink the Bismark is pretty strong in the extreme. One per customer is right! I didn't add the Brooklyn Chocolate Stout,since guiness will probably outdo it most days over there. You never know though...

I like the Halve Maan beers, all of them would be good options if you want to have a supply of Belgians.

unionrdr said:
Sink the Bismark is pretty strong in the extreme. One per customer is right! I didn't add the Brooklyn Chocolate Stout,since guiness will probably outdo it most days over there. You never know though...

Nothing will compete with Guinness but I intend to give them choices and try to get some of them to occasionally drink a craft

The only bottles I ever see people buy in a bar/restaurant are big beers. IMO stick with IIPAs, strong Belgians, and RIS. I've actually never tried any beer on that list, so I wouldn't know which are good.

Take with a grain of salt, as I have never owned a bar, and do not have actual sales eperience with bottles in a setting such as this.

chri5 said:
The only bottles I ever see people buy in a bar/restaurant are big beers. IMO stick with IIPAs, strong Belgians, and RIS. I've actually never tried any beer on that list, so I wouldn't know which are good.

Take with a grain of salt, as I have never owned a bar, and do not have actual sales eperience with bottles in a setting such as this.

You're right about bottles but my plan is to see what interest there is in different beers then get 1-2 on popular ones on tap

everything i've ever had from nogne was delicious. their porters and stouts are top drawer. anyone who likes good beer will like them, i'm pretty sure. if you could convince someone to try a stout with a bit of oomph, not that i have any axe to grind with guiness, you could sell the odd nogne stout. mikkeler is experimental, depends on the crowd, but they have an enormous range of beers, i love their spontaneous fermented stuff but it's not for everyone

just after typing that i remembered being at dinner at some friends recently, they ran out of wine, we were still thirsty, i had just been to the bottle shop to stock up, so i reluctantly dug into my backpack and produced a 750 of cantillon rose de gambrinus (raspberry lambic) and one of mikkeler spontaneous fermented, chardonnay barrel aged beer. these 2 people, one guy one girl, had never even heard of sour beers, and didn't know anything about beer at all past heineken etc., they couldn't get enough of these 2 sours. i know it's not your job as publican to force weird beers down people's throats but some non-beer lovers might go for sours if they had some way of knowing that they might like them

In my opinion Sweetwater IPA Cigar City Jai Lai and Swamphead Stump knocker but idk if you can get it that far north. I would say harpoon definitely and sam adams so when rookies come in there like oh ya I know that.

I don't like that distributor. Its website shows beer being consumed straight from bottles. Yes, like Ray Daniels, I'm a snob about beer in a glass.

944play said:
I don't like that distributor. Its website shows beer being consumed straight from bottles. Yes, like Ray Daniels, I'm a snob about beer in a glass.

Hehehe, I prefer from a tap but I hit to start them somewhere

Just finalised a deal with eight degrees brewery (in ireland) they are putting in a 2 tap font with their 'Howling Gale' & 'Sunburnt Red' beers. It will also be used on rotation with their porter and other seasonal brews.......and I get 2 mixed cases of their beers for myself :).
Beers on tap now are : bud, Heiniken, Guinness, Smithwicks, Carling, Blue Moon, Howling Gale Ale & Sunburnt Red
Bottle selection : usual BMC (for the unrefined masses), Doom Bar, Worthing white, Chalky's bark, Punk IPA, 5am ale, Duval, Proper Job & the selection will grow in the new Craft Fridge.
Other suggestions welcome, I will probably keg a batch of my finest dark lager and connect it up when one tap goes dry (only pull it after hours for my own consumption of course)

Back