Can i add anything to secondary to help it clear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigadam

Reaction score
Brewed a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale clone last week. I neglected/forgot to add a Whirfloc tablet. When I moved it to the secondary yesterday it was cloudy. Besides just letting it sit and hopefully clearing up some more, is there anything I can add to a secondary that will help it clear?

While I haven't tried it myself since I have yet to actually secondary anything, a friend of mine sware's by using gelatin.

Thanks! Will any old plain gelatin do?

I don't understand what was so different about this one. None of my other brews have mentioned the Whirfloc and they've all settled and cleared nicely. It did call for 7 pounds of LME, would that contribute the the haze in any way?

Time and Cold are the two things that work best for me.

Also, when you transfer always try to leave stuff behind - kettle to fermenter, primary to secondary, secondary to bottling bucket, bottling bucket to keg/bottle. At each stage, stuff settles out - try not to stir it all up and end up moving it along to next vessel.

If you moved it after a week of primary, it definitely would be cloudy. Generally, I just go 3 weeks in primary with no secondary. As fermentation winds down, most things clouding the beer settle out. Some people do a couple days of cold crashing after their 3 weeks of fermenting to help drop more out of suspension. Also, beer tends to really clear up after carbonation and as it sits.

I've noticed a lot of people don't secondary. I do so to get it up off the yeast cake in case that would impart any funky taste. Plus with two secondaries but currently only one primary, it allows me to move things out so I can brew again sooner. Have you noticed any difference in taste or any improvement in quality by keeping it in the primary the whole time?

Back