Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bergen69 said:
The optimum temp for the water when brewing coffee is 195d to 200d...so Micky D's was doing what should be done.

I remember when taking an ethics class this all came up the FDA use to keep a recommended temp for serving coffee but soon after the accident they removed the temp from the reg. also considering consumer report says most home coffee pots are between 135-155f 190 is insane.

newb said:
Reports I read said she spilled it in her own lap after her son pulled the car away from the window and parked the car for her to remove the lid and put cream and sugar in the cup herself...

Plus what he said

There's been more than accident with McDonalds and coffee spills seems like maybe they should have taken a hint.
Also I'm a horrible example of keeping a thread OT and ruining a topic. So sorry

I actually studied this case in college. She won the law suit because McDonalds found they could use less coffee with hotter water. Profit was more important to them than public safety.

...the kid running the window had been reprimanded for not putting tops on drinks properly and spilling them into cars. The woman suffered third degree burns and disfigured/ burned vagina for the rest of her life.
The optimum temp for the water when brewing coffee is 195d to 200d...so Micky D's was doing what should be done.

What the optimum temp for placing coffee on your vagina?

vawinesnob said:
I actually studied this case in college. She won the law suit because McDonalds found they could use less coffee with hotter water. Profit was more important to them than public safety.

Ahhh see now this sounds like good reason for her winning, ignoring public safety just for added profit, that IS a problem. But nah it's not just your fault chopps we are all contributing to the off topicness haha quick someone get us back on making fun of people who know nothing about beer that like to pretend to be experts!

vawinesnob said:

Thanks for refreshing my memory on the rest of the details I also studied this in school in my ethic class but its been a few years ago since that class.

I once spilled a whole beer in my lap. I was going to sue myself for gross misconduct, but instead I cut my losses by lapping up what I could off the chair.

Just because I know someone will ask, there was no disfiguring of my nether regions.

Thanks for refreshing my memory on the rest of the details I also studied this in school in my ethic class but its been a few years ago since that class.

There is also the fact that phsyics with water is extremely odd (for example water is the only known substance where its solid form floats on its liquid form). In regards to the case, only 2-3 degrees separates "annoyingly hot" and "will cause disfiguring burns" because the energy content of the heated substance suddenly switches from a linear scale to a logorithmic scale. And if I recall correctly that temperature point is in the same area as what we deal with when mashing our grains.

I once spilled a whole beer in my lap. I was going to sue myself for gross misconduct, but instead I cut my losses by lapping up what I could off the chair.

Just because I know someone will ask, there was no disfiguring of my nether regions.

We call that alcohol abuse 'round these parts. No spilling.

Water is one of the few substances that expands at reduced temperatures, so density decreases and ice floats. I'm not a chemist, but I guess it must be the molecular structure - a big atom with two little ones attached, also the best solvent around - that makes it grow, not shrink, when it cools down.

Hmm... funny things about beer, without being a jackass... I was at the store, picked up a case of Guinness. The handle on the box ripped and the box fell out of my hand, a couple bottles broke and the precious liquid began to spread on the floor around the box.
I told the cashier what happened, and said 'I hate when I break beer!' and she said, 'Yeah, it is such a waste'. She didn't really look like a 'beer drinker', but I could tell she understood.

bergen69 said:

Really? Hmm wonder why they were attacked for serving it to hot then?

Edit I see its already been discussed disregard

Water is one of the few substances that expands at reduced temperatures, so density decreases and ice floats. I'm not a chemist, but I guess it must be the molecular structure - a big atom with two little ones attached, also the best solvent around - that makes it grow, not shrink, when it cools down.

Hmm... funny things about beer, without being a jackass... I was at the store, picked up a case of Guinness. The handle on the box ripped and the box fell out of my hand, a couple bottles broke and the precious liquid began to spread on the floor around the box.
I told the cashier what happened, and said 'I hate when I break beer!' and she said, 'Yeah, it is such a waste'. She didn't really look like a 'beer drinker', but I could tell she understood.

It was probably code for, "crap, now I have to clean that up" ;)

"I fear the day I am released from prison," Grant, 27, said in his affidavit. "I do not know if I can be a productive member of society and still control the desires and craving to use alcohol."

This will be a great statement to have read to his parole board if his case ever comes up.

I remember when taking an ethics class this all came up the FDA use to keep a recommended temp for serving coffee but soon after the accident they removed the temp from the reg. also considering consumer report says most home coffee pots are between 135-155f 190 is insane.

The Keurig I just bought my wife for xmas brews (by default, no less) at 192*F...However, I've not noticed anything particularly insane about the coffee and tea I've drank from this apparent implement of evil!

"ewwww!" --my four year old son when smelling my beer. He has the same response from the sight of broccoli.

Gave my neighbor a Hefeweizen and he said it was to hoppy, made me laugh a little. He then went on to insult my brew by saying it tasted like Old Milwaukee :mad:

Ill buy small and local but you have to be careful because anhurser and miller coors are buying small breweries and selling it under that name. I think if we allow them to do this then we are limiting our future possibilities of what we are able to drink bc the macro companies wont care to experiment or deviate from what makes money.

this.

You guys might want to read this before you decide not to buy from small craft brewers owned by larger companies.

http://chicagoist.com/2012/04/16/the_honk_heard_round_the_world_goos.php#photo-1

Goose Island had been able to do some really awesome things since Ab InBev bought them. I've talked to the brewers at one of the pubs and they've all said that the purchase had allowed them to be more creative and experiment more than before because they don't have to worry about producing the mass market beers. It's freed up a lot of production space...Bourbon County Stout and it's assorted varieties has become much easier to find, even on tap out here in the burbs.

donk5 said:
A coworker of mine was at a very well known brewery in my town with his family. He said that his father asked for a something that was as close to budweiser that they had available. The waiter returned with a pint of water. Hilarious.

Haha

I was at the Defiant Brewery in Pearl River, NY and a couple of construction guys came in around 3pm. One of them obviously liked craft beer but the guy he brought in was a little awe struck.

The bartender, and head brewer, asked him what'd he'd have and they guy said "well I normally drink Coors Light. You got anything like that around?"

The bartender told him "I can get you a pint of the water I use before we make beer."

Water is one of the few substances that expands at reduced temperatures, so density decreases and ice floats.

That's not accurate.

Water only exhibits that anomalous behaviour (expanding while cooling, instead of contracting while cooling like everything else) between 0 and 4 degrees celcius.

At all other temperatures, it behaves like everything else. If you cool ice further, it will contract. If you take 1L of water at 100 degrees celcius and cool it to 4 degrees C, its volume will be decreasing all the way down.

As it cools from 4 degrees to 0 degrees (that is, it freezes), it rapidly expands, even beyond its initial volume. Below 0, it returns to contracting, but it will never contract back down to its initial (liquid) volume, even to Absolute Zero (0 degrees Kelvin), which is why it will float.

Sorry I have to disagree with you, super human levels of stupidity is a great source of comedy. Once I realized, if you let human stupidity make you frustrated and mad all the time you will be miserable, I was a lot better off. Trust me, I spent several years of my life furious about how stupid people are, one day I just laughed at somebody in line at a fast food place. She was dumb and rude and it hit me why get mad and let her bring me down with her. She walked up from behind me when I had been in line, and insisted she was next? I didn't argue or anything, probably a first for me. Instead, I just laughed right in this woman's face, I promise it felt better then trying to argue back or reason with her. Some people just aren't capable, and we can't control or fix them.

It isn't a source of comedy because it forces many many restrictive and stupid knee jerk reactions from companies and the government to protect themselves from stupid.

people assume that the alcohol content is related to how long something ferments or ages.

"you've been aging that since last march? Wow, thats gonna get you drunk!"

Before I started brewing, someone was explaining to me that the longer it ferments, the more alcohol it has. He was a brewer, accomplished in his eyes.

Oh, and this one from me WAY before I started brewing."I don't like ales, they're too bitter."
Aparantly me first selection of an ale was one of the eepas I've heard about or something else with more flavor then Bud. That was my previous beer of choice, now I use it wash yeast. Its cheap, sanitary, and no 0ff-flavor... or On-flavor for that matter
Regards,

assistantreaper said:
people assume that the alcohol content is related to how long something ferments or ages.

That really annoys me when they're talking about liquor

brewman243 said:
Before I started brewing, someone was explaining to me that the longer it ferments, the more alcohol it has. He was a brewer, accomplished in his eyes.

Oh, and this one from me WAY before I started brewing."I don't like ales, they're too bitter."
Aparantly me first selection of an ale was one of the eepas I've heard about or something else with more flavor then Bud. That was my previous beer of choice, now I use it wash yeast. Its cheap, sanitary, and no 0ff-flavor... or On-flavor for that matter
Regards,

Eepa? Do you mean IPA?

You guys might want to read this before you decide not to buy from small craft brewers owned by larger companies.

http://chicagoist.com/2012/04/16/the_honk_heard_round_the_world_goos.php#photo-1

Goose Island had been able to do some really awesome things since Ab InBev bought them. I've talked to the brewers at one of the pubs and they've all said that the purchase had allowed them to be more creative and experiment more than before because they don't have to worry about producing the mass market beers. It's freed up a lot of production space...Bourbon County Stout and it's assorted varieties has become much easier to find, even on tap out here in the burbs.

also this article

http://chicagoist.com/2012/11/28/goose_island_brewer_departs_to_star.php

so makes you wonder lol

Was at a local restaurant that has 5 micro's on tap.
I was enjoying a Stone Ruination. A guy sits down at a table beside us and ask what is on tap. The waiter recited the list. The guy promptly orders Shlafly's unfiltered wheat. It takes him the better part of an hour to finish his beer. The waiter ask him if he would like another.
The guy replies " no thanks, that was a little to heavy. I'll just have a glass of red wine".

To some extent this is true though, you arent going to see any 2 month old barley wines or RIS's being ready to drink.

At a beer fest I overheard a guy tell his friends that Lambic is a town in Germany where they produce only sour ales - facepalm.....

FuzzeWuzze said:
To some extent this is true though, you arent going to see any 2 month old barley wines or RIS's being ready to drink.

That is not what the person said at all. While yes typically heavier beers are the ones we age. This guy implied that somehow the time aging was going to make for a higher ABV. Why do people on HBT just want to pull apart and skew things for arguments sake anymore?

Back