Grain substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both are pale base malts, any pale base malt will work, however, what are you brewing? Rahr and Simpson(Golden Promise) are the maltsters names, there are numerous maltsters, some of their processes for making malt is proprietary and we may never know some of the processes of these maltsters.

Simpson's Golden Promise is supposed to be malted from scottish barley, that is probably why it's included in the recipe. Without knowing the specifics of the malting I would guess than nobody could tell the difference between a scotch ale brewed with Golden Promise and one brewed with any other pale base malt providing that they are brewed correctly.

Why not get the kit from NB?

Edit: If Simpsons kilns their malts with peat then any smoked malt will substitute, however be aware that peated malt is different and alot stronger than pale malt or even smoked malt.

Well I do like NB but I do like my LHBS more also. Plus, I want to brew in a couple if days and don't want to pay for faster shipping. Thanks for the info. Do you think Maris otter would a good substitute for these malts? I'm ok with it not being an exact clone, I've never even tried the real thing. This will be my second all grain attempt and I'm really just starting to learn about all the different malts out there.

Marris otter would be a fine sub. I think golden promise is a littler sweeter tasting, but it is pretty close.

Back