Protein Rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iordz

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing my first dry stout soon. I will be using oats and flaked barley for a total of 20% of the grain bill. The question is do I really need a protein rest? The oats and barley are flaked, therefore they are gelatinized. I was wondering what a protein rest would contribute, or if it would have any adverse affects? Most importantly how will the protein rest affect the flavor? I will be using a direct heat mash tun, so I can do a step mash.
BTW, I have done roggenbiers using 55% rye malt and wheat beers using +60% wheat malt without having a stuck sparge (knock on wood;) ).

I didn't think I needed the protein rest, thanks. However, 156F, isn't that a little high if I'm aiming for a dry stout? I would use that temp for a sweet stout but a dry stout, I'm not sure.

I'm with Yuri on the no need for protein rest.

I just dropped my mash temp from 154 to 150 to dry mine out some more. With 2 lbs of flaked barley I have plenty of body, just a tad to sweet last batch.

GT

Back