too much hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathanquist

Reaction score
Did a 10 gallon batch with a pound and a half of hops. 7 gallon boil. Pitched yeast 48 hours ago no signs of fermentation. First time yeast has taken this long to start. Does the amount of hops u use affect the ability of yeast to get started.

just out of curiousity, how high is the IBU rating?

I would expect that, after a certain point, you'll arrive at a maximum solubility of the hop oils in the beer.

WOW 1-1/2lbs of hops? :eek: You have gone well beyond anything I know. To me thats bordering on preserving the beer. Depending on Your alpha % it could be possible for yeast not to function in the acidity.

I made an imperial ipa and used a total of 10 oz of hops in a five gallon batch. Came out to 150 ibus. Used 7.5 oz in the boil and 2.5 oz as a dry hop. It's bitter as all hell and I love it!!

No the pot was only 8 gallons so 7 gallon boil and added water for ten gallons total. I used willamettes and only came out to 120ibus with all that hop

I would imagine using a pound and a half of Willamettes in a single beer would be pretty vegetal tasting. No clue on whether it would interfere with yeast activity. I'm not entirely sure why you would use that much low alpha hops, its not going to be necessary to use that much for flavor/aroma, and you can use something else higher alpha for bittering that would require less volume of hops.

I found an add on craigslist that said free hops you pick. They were willamettes and that's what I got figured hmmmm well I moght as well see what this will do.

What does no sign of fermentation mean? Did you take a gravity reading? What temp are you fermenting at? What type of yeast? Did you make a starter? What was your og?

A guy in my home brew club just made a IPA with 18 oz of hops for 5 gallons and the IBU's were 248, so no it has no effect on the yeast.

brewtus_ said:
248 IBU's??? My God man, how can someone even taste the beer with that kind of bitterness?

You can't taste beyond 80-100 (depending on who you listen to) anyways.

brewtus_ said:
248 IBU's??? My God man, how can someone even taste the beer with that kind of bitterness?

To be honest it was not mouth puckering bitter like I was expecting, it was quite drinkable for a glass, I don't think I could have drank another.

Transamguy77 said:
To be honest it was not mouth puckering bitter like I was expecting, it was quite drinkable for a glass, I don't think I could have drank another.

Well yes, the brewer exceeded the range of detectability. Like speakers that can produce sound down to 5hz. That's great, but you can't hear it.

Cr@p, with that many hops, you're beer's certainly ruined, undrinkable and maybe even toxic to drink. Luckily, I run a free beer disposal facility right here in Mpls. When you bottle this, package it in brown bottles with o2 barrier caps, put in a case and ship to:
NeB
P.O. Box 77
Minneapolis, MN, 55555

netza said:
you added water to your wort AFTER the boil? Isn´t that a contamination risk?

Just as long as it's sanitary (boiled or bottled water) it's perfectly fine to add after the boil.

Did you use 1.5 lbs of wet hops (based on you saying you picked them for free)? if so, that's not so crazy. Its something like 5:1 ratio when talking wet:dry(pelletized).

Back