Cinnamon as Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duffey

Reaction score
I'm planning to add cinnamon to my bottling bucket just for flavour, not priming. Does anyone know if cinnamon is fermentable? This could lead to a fizzy mess or grenades if the cinnamon primes along with the regular dextrose.

there is no fermentable material in cinnamon. Prime with dextrose as usual.

Aside from that, ferchrissakes be CAREFUL! A touch a cinnamon can ruin a beer.

cinnamon isn't gonna dissolve into the beer...hopefully it sticks to the sediment.
if it doesn't, you'll be drinking little clumps of cinnamon which would taste aweful.

if you really want some cinnamon in there, I suggest you get whole stick cinnamon, steep it in a cup of hot water for 15 mins (this could be the same water you put your priming sugar in to dissolve it). steep it hot...less than 200F but above 150F.

good luck.

Not a good idea! Dry cinnimon will ruin it. You should wait after you bottle it. Then to your hearts content you can add the cinnimon to your poured glass of beer to taste. This way you won't ruin all but one. JMHO.
- WW

Back