BIAB party-gyle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stauffbier

Reaction score
So I've read quite a few threads on this idea going back to 2008.. I'm very interested in trying it. I'm wondering how many of you have actually done it successfully??

One thing that is confusing me in all of the threads I have read...

Everyone talks about making a high gravity beer first (say 1.080 or so) and then a low to medium gravity beer second (say 1.030 to 1.040).. Are these numbers pre or post boil readings??

Talking about the OG of the wort after the boil.

Ok, that's what I thought.. Thanks! I might be biting off more than I can chew since I've only done 2 batches via BIAB. I find that jumping in head first teaches me a lot and I'm able to make quick progress with this hobby. So far no major mistakes or disappointments. I'm going to make both party-gyle batches pretty small for this first attempt, just in case I flub it all up!

I did a BIAB Parti-Gyle Sour Mash Biere De Garde (yes that's a lot of descriptors) and the mashing process seemed to go swimmingly enough, though I'm still waiting on the final results (bugs take a while). But don't see anything wrong with a parti-gyle biab, especially if you're not sparging (which you probably aren't with biab). It couldn't hurt to do the traditional topping of the mashing with a little bit of fresh malt though to increase the gravity if that's what you're worried about.

If it's a question about the viability of Parti-gyle style in general, just remember that Fullers produces 3 separate beers from each batch, and they've been doing just fine for quite a while now.

I did a BIAB Parti-Gyle Sour Mash Biere De Garde (yes that's a lot of descriptors) and the mashing process seemed to go swimmingly enough, though I'm still waiting on the final results (bugs take a while). But don't see anything wrong with a parti-gyle biab, especially if you're not sparging (which you probably aren't with biab). It couldn't hurt to do the traditional topping of the mashing with a little bit of fresh malt though to increase the gravity if that's what you're worried about.

If it's a question about the viability of Parti-gyle style in general, just remember that Fullers produces 3 separate beers from each batch, and they've been doing just fine for quite a while now.

How much malt would you add to the second batch with an original grain bill of 12lbs? And I'm guessing your first batch is a no sparge mash at about 154F and the second batch is done like a "batch sparge" at 170ish??

I don't think that simulator is designed for BIAB per say, dcp27.. If it is I'm just clueless (which isn't too far fetched..).

it works for whatever method you mash, as long as you batch sparge. if there's target OG/batch sizes you're going for I can help you get there

it works for whatever method you mash, as long as you batch sparge. if there's target OG/batch sizes you're going for I can help you get there

That's my problem! I do "no sparge BIAB".. I'll have to wrap my head around the idea of doing it with a sparge, which I've never done. I think that's why that simulator looks like it's written in French to me..

Your sparge would be dunking your bag in 168ish degree water to get your second batch (second runnings). It makes it easier to have two kettles and two burners.

That's my problem! I do "no sparge BIAB".. I'll have to wrap my head around the idea of doing it with a sparge, which I've never done. I think that's why that simulator looks like it's written in French to me..

without a sparge or small batch sizes, you'd need a massive mash tun to do a no sparge BIAB partigyle. even at both half batches, that'd mean a minimum of 7gals in the mash tun + grains.

without a sparge or small batch sizes, you'd need a massive mash tun to do a no sparge BIAB partigyle. even at both half batches, that'd mean a minimum of 7gals in the mash tun + grains.

I have an 11 gallon kettle and a 7.5 gallon one too. I was planning on doing a 4 gallon batch for the first and ??? for the second.. I'm thinking the second batch would be maybe 2 to 2.5 gallons or so.. With 8 gallons of water in my big kettle I can fit about 13lbs of grain (more or less), so I figure if I scale down to a 4 gallon batch I would start with around 6.75 gallons of water and a few more lbs of grain to get the higher OG on batch one.. Then use my 7.5 gallon kettle to do the batch sparge (2nd batch) in. Now I'm wondering how the hell I'm going to cool two batches at the same time with one IC.. I'll try to offset the boil of each batch by 20 mins I suppose..

ok, well I just threw this together quick, so you'll hafta check it, but if you wanted 4gals of 80ish and 2.5gals of 40ish, you'd start with about 16lbs in 6.5 gals. those first runnings would be your big beer, then you;d batch sparge with around 3.75 gals for your small batch. you can then cap either with some specialty grains while you heat them up.

chilling both with one IC isn't too bad, I usually just boil the big beer a lil longer. since the small one will heat and cool quicker, you dont need to offset too much

ok, well I just threw this together quick, so you'll hafta check it, but if you wanted 4gals of 80ish and 2.5gals of 40ish, you'd start with about 16lbs in 6.5 gals. those first runnings would be your big beer, then you;d batch sparge with around 3.75 gals for your small batch. you can then cap either with some specialty grains while you heat them up.

chilling both with one IC isn't too bad, I usually just boil the big beer a lil longer. since the small one will heat and cool quicker, you dont need to offset too much

Thanks for the input dcp.. I'll be ordering the goods this weekend and brewing next weekend. I'll let you know how it goes!

Yes I'd like to know, too. Would be nice to make a lighter style of the beer that my wife may enjoy more than me, for the same price of the initial beer!

Sorry to say I haven't done it yet. I've been doing all kinds of DIY stuff since I posted this thread, and now I have a sanke keg mash tun. I'm still trying to dial in my process with it. I no longer do BIAB, but I do intend on trying the partygyle still. I'm hoping to get some bulk grains soon...

Back