Stoudt's Scarlet Lady ESB clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy13

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am looking for a clone recipe for Stoudt's Scarlet Lady ESB. I love it! I've searched and can't find one anywhere.

I was thinking I could find a regular ESB recipe and add a good bit of Melanoidin to try and make the beer turn out with a reddish color. Does melanoidin make the beer turn red?

Also does Melanoidin have enough diastatic power to convert itself?

I'm trying to track one down as well. They list the basic ingredients on the Stoudt's website. I've sent in a request to Jamil for a Can You Brew It? episode, but he and Tasty haven't brewed it up yet. If we an get enough people to email them, it'll bump it up on the list of what they do next.....

I am going to get a recipe together for this today. I will post back later. Stoudts is VERY good about posting the ingredients on their website.

John

OK...here is what I came up with. FYI...I usually don't post clone recipes until I have brewed/tasted/tweaked them for comparison, but Stoudt's pretty much lays out entire ingredient list for you:

scatletlady.jpg

I brew using BiaB and No-Chill so chances are water volumes and grain amounts will be different for you. Just shoot for 5.0% ABV, 32 IBUs (Perle for bittering and Willamette for aroma) and 18.5 SRM. Mash @ 155 - 156 to get a nice malty profile.

--------------------------------------------

Recipe: Stoudt's Scarlet Lady
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.74 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 18.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 32.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 78.6 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.5 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 9.5 %
4.0 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.4 %
0.75 oz Perle [8.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 20.5 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
0.75 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 7.0 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 8 -
1.25 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 4.7 IBUs
1.0 pkg London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) [124. Yeast 10 -
0.50 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 8.79 gal of water at 163.6 F 156.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort

OK...here is what I came up with. FYI...I usually don't post clone recipes until I have brewed/tasted/tweaked them for comparison

I'm at least a few weeks off from my next order of ingredients from B3...anxiously awaiting results of your comparison!

(Out of curiosity, why use both whirlfloc and irish moss in the same batch? As I understood it, they act on the same things...is one better at fining out certain things than the other?)

Glad I found this. I'm having my first Scarlet Lady and am very impressed. I love the malt sweetness and caramel while maintaining a fairly light body. I get the sense that it's >5% abv.

Subscribing to this thread. :)

image-4126359856.jpg

Thread necromancy time. RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE.

Willamette? I'm thinking about a batch next week, and to my recollection, Scarlet Lady tastes like a German/Czech hop or one of the American hybrids thereof - some apricot or fig, not accounted for by malt or warm conditioning. Has anyone tried something like this? Scarlet Lady is my favorite session, but naturally they don't sell it in CA, where I live.

I'm about to try this, but as a 5 gallon extract. I have everything on hand including 6 lb of NB's Maris Otter lme (versus 8.4 lb when all grain).

One question if anyone could help, I was going to steep 1 lb of of 20L, 1 lb of 60L and 4 oz of Carafa III - but that seems like a lot of steeping grain. Should I cut those 3 steeping grains in half?

I said wtf and steeped the combined 2lb-4oz :D I'm sure it will be delish, regardless. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. This is batch #4 for me, the noob. So far every batch has been from damn good to excellent. Burp.

Thread necromancy time. RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE.

Willamette? I'm thinking about a batch next week, and to my recollection, Scarlet Lady tastes like a German/Czech hop or one of the American hybrids thereof - some apricot or fig, not accounted for by malt or warm conditioning. Has anyone tried something like this? Scarlet Lady is my favorite session, but naturally they don't sell it in CA, where I live.

I would tend to agree. I believe STOUDT's are german style brewers at heart.

I went on the brew tour there, and they were anything but forthcoming with any specifics on any of the brews.

Back