Gruit that dont sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janivar123

Reaction score
I have split a batch to make 4 variations of gruitale
heather,jurniper-sweet gale,yarrow-meadowsweet and mugworth-sweet gale

so far i only bottled the first two and both was soured...

Anyone know a herb that will stop it from going sour?
It be nice to be able to brew just about any beer without hops, not only the sour:cross:

On a sidenote today i found out what a stuck mash is(false bottom from 30 litre tun didnt do well rolled to bazooka screen on the 60 litre) it only took 3 hours ekstra

I brewed with yarrow and sweet gale. Dried yarrow and thought i used a modest amount,recipe based out of Joy of homebrewing.Its a very tart lemon beer.Its kinda nice for the summer but its just like sour lemon.

I did a gruit with Sweet gale, Yarrow, Mugwort, and a few other things. In primary for a month, and in the bottle for 3 or 4 months - no sour at all. I also did a "dry hop" with more herb - and still no sour. Maybe some other issue with your beer?

I did a gruit with Sweet gale, Yarrow, Mugwort, and a few other things. In primary for a month, and in the bottle for 3 or 4 months - no sour at all. I also did a "dry hop" with more herb - and still no sour. Maybe some other issue with your beer?

I dont know i used dried Yarrow from a healthfood store,so i have no idea what its suppose to flavor like, i think i used too much even though i scaled down a recipe,i think less would have made it different, i did add some around flameout maybe it didnt get sterilized. What is is suppose to flavor like,what kind of bitterness?

Well the mugworth seems to have done the trick
Guess i was to modest with the additions of the other ones to get suffichent protection

Back