Transfering to Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Temp to pitch your yeast. 68-72 is good for most ales. If you transfer before that, just wait until it gets that cool before you pitch your yeast.

AleHole said:
Whatever you do NEVER put hot wort in a glass carboy or it may break.

Thats why I asked... didn't want to break my carboy and was wondering what the coolest it needed to be without the possiblity of breaking it.

sound advice above! If you read up alittle on this topic, You'll find that you can add ..lets say.. room temp water to your carboy and then add you cooled wort...then top up to final volume! The first water in the carboy will absorbe the heat shock!

I personaly do this and dump the wort when it is about 80 deg. I have to admit I have been pitching yeast a little cold!

Since I've got the chiller in the boil, I just wait until it's down to 70-80 deg. Unless I'm lagering, which means I've got to chill it in the fridge, I just let the chiller do it's work. My $0.02

I'm assuming partial boil extract and a room temp carboy ( or at least not freezing cold carboy- PHX yeah right!)

The wort needn't be that cold if your only concern is carboy breakage.

The old-school (no thermometer) technique was to wait until you could pick the pot up with your hands on the side and not burn your hands. That puts the wort temp between 80° - 90° F.

Add some of your top off water to the carboy (to buffer), then your wort and then the remaining top off water.

Back