Caribou Slobber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfman

Reaction score
I just tapped a keg AG Caribou Slobber from Northern Brewer ad I have to say I am a fan. This is a great session beer with lots of flavor. has anyone else brewed this and if so what is your take on it?:mug:

I came here hoping to find out how close if was to Moose Drool. I've been wanting to make this for my bro and SIL who lived in Idaho for 3 years and then moved back to Ohio. I've never had either.

Can you brew it did a show on moose drool. They said it was a spot on clone. Dont know about this one though

I have had the slobber in secondary for about 2 weeks. gravity is 1012. it tastes really watery. anyone experience this? I made a 5 gallon partial mash batch. I am wondering if i should let is sit longer or just carb it and condition for a couple weeks. I was really looking forward to this one...

I have had the slobber in secondary for about 2 weeks. gravity is 1012. it tastes really watery. anyone experience this? I made a 5 gallon partial mash batch. I am wondering if i should let is sit longer or just carb it and condition for a couple weeks. I was really looking forward to this one...

I would say be patient on this one. I will be tapping a keg of it this weekend and I am pretty stoked about it! It sat for 2 weeks in the primary, 2 weeks in the secondary and it will be a week in the keg.

This kit was given to me by a friend and it was sitting for over a year so I went ahead and got new grains, new yeast, and I added a cup of brown sugar at flameout. So it's not exactly the Caribou Slobber kit but something close. I know I ended up with some extra grains too so I know it will have a slightly different profile. I have a couple bottles of Moose Drool in the fridge just waiting for the side by side and so far has been pretty close.

Good luck on your batch. I will post up this weekend how the finished product turns out. I'm fired up!!:mug:

I am thinking of ordering this AG kit. The kit has Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale. I have some other yeasts in stock. Rather than buying more yeast, do you think any of these would work well?

Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale
Wyeast 1026 Cask Ale
Wyeast 1450 Denny's Fav 50
Wyeast 1028 London Ale
Wyeast 1099 Whitbread Ale

I'll be the odd guy out in this conversation. I did the extract version of NB Caribou Slobber and hated it. Mine turned out very bitter -> astringent and even after six months had to choke it down to free up the bottles. The bitterness just lingered on the tongue. This was only my third 5 gallon batch of beer so I may have messed it up some how, but I really haven't changed my methods and haven't had any problems since to speak of. I bought a sixer of Moose Drool to see if mine was close and it was completely different.

Just my $0.02 on this one.

I brewed this beer back in February and I think it turned out great. I did a side by side comparison and it doesn't taste exactly the same, but it's still very good. To me the Moose drool has a different malty flavor than the clone does. This may change as it ages a bit though. Mine didn't have a bitter taste at all though.

Yeah Moose Drool shouldn't be bitter at all. If it's the yeast is similar to Big Sky's it should be done and ready to go in no time (their yeast goes nuts and can handle higher alcohol). I fermented an imp porter with it from 1.085 to 1.012 in 3 days...maybe. It flocculates pretty quick too. Anyways I'll be at the brewery in 15 mins once I get off work :)

Can You Brew It Moose Drool Clone

10.8 lbs domestic pale malt or 7.4 lbs pale LME
5.5 ounces chocolate malt 400l
1.25 lbs crystal 75-80
0.5 ounce black patent 525l

1.4 oz (41g) EKG 4.75AA @60m
0.6 oz (14g) Williamete @10m
0.6 oz (14g) Liberty @ 0m

Mash @154F

Jamil stated that you could increase IBUs by 5 and keep the gravity or decrease OG by 4 degrees and keep the bitterness the same. It may be slightly closer to the original.

Same thing with mine, really not sure why. It is carbing right now, maybe that will help?

I have brewed caribou slobber twice now from extract kit and it shouldn't be bitter at all. Very smooth brown ale. It reminds me so much of Samual Smiths nut brown ale it is not even funny. Now I am no beer snob and may be way off with that but thats what it taste like to me.

I hate to necromance this thread, but I just opened a Caribou Slobber that was in primary for 4 weeks, then 2 weeks in bottles. I will have to say that it is a bit on the watery side, though it seems that it has the potential to be a nice change of pace session beer. I used Windsor for my brew.

I have never tried Moose Drool but I have read so many good things about that beer as well as this clone of it, I just felt I needed to try and brew this myself. I just brewed some Slobber doing BIAB last night and I'm hoping it turns out as good as it looked! I hit my OG right on the mark and it is bubbling away in the fermenter as we speak! I'm going to let it ride for 3 weeks in the fermenter and then bottle and let them condition for another 2-3 weeks and hopefully this will turn out as good as advertised!

This beer has an amazing 568 reviews on NB with only a few negative. Most bad saying it's watery or yeast problems. I prefer buying my own ingredients so i can tweak recipe. I stopped using black patent some time ago, sub with German Carafa Special Type III
Fingers crossed!

Original. NB Steeping GRAINS,
- 0.25 lbs Briess Caramel 80L (4 oz)
- 0.25 lbs Fawcett Pale Chocolate (4 oz)
- 0.125 lbs Black Malt
(2 oz)

My 2.5 gallon batch Changes:

27 oz - DME Sparkling Amber - (late addition) (40.1%)
2 lb - LME Sparkling Amber Liquid (47.6%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
3.25 oz - American - Caramel Malt - 80L (4.8%)
3 oz - United Kingdom - Pale Chocolate (4.5%)
1 oz - German - Carafa Special Type III (1.5%)
1.25 oz - American - Victory Malt (1.5%)
1.75 oz Maltodextine.

HOPS:
14.5 g - Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 45 min, IBU: 17.86
11 g - Liberty, Type: Pellet, AA: 4, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 5.86
10 g - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04
Abv about 6.3%
Ibu about 24

Last edited:
This beer has an amazing 568 reviews on NB with only a few negative. Most bad saying it's watery or yeast problems.

*BIG SNIP*

I've brewed Caribou Slobber from NB a few times.

I'd like to know what the guys who call it watery are drinking .
Any guesses?

“This beer has an amazing 568 reviews on NB with only a few negative. Most bad saying it's watery or yeast problems.”

I’ve made this AG kit twice in the last year and love it - not at all watery. I used Imperial Yeast - House.

Probably drinking mud in a cup! I met a guy in nyc who said old rasputin was a bit watery.... i told him to stop trying new beers after major dental work!

I think the ones saying drool is watery simply ADDED too much water!

Back