Restaurant grade sanitizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

me4657

Reaction score
So, at the restaurant where I work we use a food grade sanitizer called Santimine 150 (chemically it's half dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride monohydrate, and half filler). It is used as a sanitizing bath for equipment, pots, etc after the wash and rinse baths (if you are familiar with a standard three basin restaurant sink, this is what would be in the third basin). No rinsing necessary, instructions just say use one tablet per gallon of water.

Any reason I shouldn't use this to sanitize beer equipment? It'd be a whole lot cheaper to just grab a couple tabs from work occasionally than shell out for Star-San or Idophor.

Googling has led me nowhere. Someone with more experience or chemical knowledge than I care to weigh in?

Thanks!

No idea about the active ingredient, but I'd be worried about the contents of the "proprietary" filler.

StarSan is pennies a batch. If this stuff creates some off-flavor in even one batch, you've lost the game already.

It sounds like quaternary ammonia (sometimes in blue tablet form). It would be fine if you rinsed after sanitizing with pre-boiled water. The compounds in the quat will affect head retention, I believe.

Ok, I guess I'll buy the real thing then. Thanks for the replies.

Back