Fermented beer help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accordpower99

Reaction score
Today makes 8 days since the first brew. I havent done another hydrometer reading but the airlock only bubbles alittle bit when i flick it. Thinking about moving to a bucket with a spigot with the airlock lid. Then get a reading and then wait a week before bottling/kegging. Will this work?

it will work fine, but I might suggest you give it another 2 weeks transfer to the bucket get your reading and then bottle it.

I wouldn't transfer to another bucket until you are ready to mix with priming sugar and bottle it.
The large head space will make it easier for your fermented beer to become oxygenated and you don't want that.

Eight days? Give it another week. It may be ready, but another week won't hurt.

To secondary or not is a debate that will never end.

If you want to sample, just open the lid and sample. If you're at the gravity you want, bottle. If not, it'll probably be fine to put the lid back on and wait or go to secondary. And by probably, I mean most likely 99% no sweat. People do it all the time. The sun still shines.

i would also leave it for another two weeks. Are you fermenting in a plastic pail? I ferment in a pail and most of the time i do not see any airlock activity but after three weeks i take a gravity reading and keg the beer.....it is alway done fermenting by then despite the lack of visible airlock activity.:mug:

Back