Alaskan brewing is releasing an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The guy states in the article:
Alaskan IPA pours light and not quite amber. It's slightly hazy from the copious use of hops throughout the brewing process.

I have never heard of a beer being hazy from hops. Has anyone else? I would think an IPA should be cristal clear.

Did the author call hopheads "freaks"...!??

That's cool! I have wondered why no IPA from them.....now I can stop..

I had a couple pints of this last weekend. I'd never heard of it before so that explains it. My wife actually ordered a pint of it. She's NEVER ordered an IPA, and rarely found one that she can drink.

On draft I'd say that its more of a slightly hoppy pale ale than it is an IPA, light in color, about 4-6 SRM, lightly hopped, but very clean and crisp. I enjoyed it, but I considered it about the most mild IPA I've ever had. Good balance though.

I've HEARD of some IPA's being hazy before, but never seen it. My IPA seems pretty crystal clear as well as most bottles I've drinken. The IPA's I've enjoyed on draft have been pretty clear, as well, but not sure I would call them "crystal" clear.

However, I'm sure most of the bottled IPAs undergo filtering, whereas the tapped IPAs, including the A.B. probably does not... *shrug*

They probably just throw it in the description in case they get a hazy batch it won't scare someone off... I'm sure it's probably pretty clear, say in comparison to a wheatbeer or something.

EDIT: Wish I could try to Alaskan Brewing stuff... Doubtful we are getting that in PA. :/

Rook said:
I had a couple pints of this last weekend. I'd never heard of it before so that explains it. My wife actually ordered a pint of it. She's NEVER ordered an IPA, and rarely found one that she can drink.

On draft I'd say that its more of a slightly hoppy pale ale than it is an IPA, light in color, about 4-6 SRM, lightly hopped, but very clean and crisp. I enjoyed it, but I considered it about the most mild IPA I've ever had. Good balance though.
She should try the Widmer Broken Halo...it's a very mild IPA...tasty and mild.

Dan

Just bought a sixer while on a run to the store for Ben & Jerrys for SWMBO. Beer is a bit lighter than most IPA's but has a great hop aroma. Very well balanced and not quite as hoppy as most IPA's I have had. This may because I have been drinking Stone RIPA lately. Very good beer however as should be expected from Alaskan.

Pictures for the Alaskan IPA deprived

I would tend to agree with what others have said about this brew somewhat lite for an IPA. This would a good beer to pass to a domestic beer drinker who may have never tried an IPA as a means to get them away from the mass marketed swill.

P3290274.jpg

P3290256.jpg

Back