Fermentation Tempature Fluctuation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burnt

Reaction score
I used Coopers Extract and Powdered Sugar for my wort.

I put the wort in my fermentation bucket at too high of a tempature. (didnt register on my tempature gauge that only goes up to 82 degrees)

Bubbling started to happen the next day in my airlock (about one bubble every 6 seconds) and continued for the next 3 days while the tempature was between 79-82 degrees.

On day 4 (8/9/09) I have not seen any bubbles going to the airlock while the tempature is staying at 77 degrees.

I think that I should:
1. Wait 2 to 3 weeks and taste it (then post on here)
2. Try to warm my bucket up before then.
3. Listen to your advice.

Thanks for your input :tank:

I would say your bucket needs to be cooled down a bit, but that all depends on what yeast you're using. Some belgians like warmer weather. I usually ferment my ales around 68 degrees though.

For future reference....I don't suggest using the yeast that comes with kits. Sometimes it's old yeast that's been mishandled and stored improperly.

At this point, you might as well leave the temperature where it's at, but just remember next time that most ale yeasts like to ferment around 65-70. If you go a little above 70, it's fine, but not ideal. You'll probably have some really fruity flavors in this beer.

I'm unsure as to what the question or concern here is? Are you asking why you're not seeing any airlock activity? If so, 3 days does not surprise me at all for a time frame for no more airlock activity, especially if it was dry yeast. Even if there is no activity in the airlock, that doesn't mean it's done fermenting. Like you said, give it a couple weeks.

If you're asking about temperatures, yeah, 77-82+ is a bit warm. I really have no room to talk, because my last few brews have fermented around 75F, but you should still produce a very drinkable brew.

Oh, and don't warm your bucket up, especially if it is sitting at 77F.

Let us know how it turns out!

I used Coopers Extract and Powdered Sugar for my wort.

I put the wort in my fermentation bucket at too high of a tempature. (didnt register on my tempature gauge that only goes up to 82 degrees)

Bubbling started to happen the next day in my airlock (about one bubble every 6 seconds) and continued for the next 3 days while the tempature was between 79-82 degrees.

On day 4 (8/9/09) I have not seen any bubbles going to the airlock while the tempature is staying at 77 degrees.

I think that I should:
1. Wait 2 to 3 weeks and taste it (then post on here)
2. Try to warm my bucket up before then.
3. Listen to your advice.

Thanks for your input :tank:

4. Dump the bucket down the drain.

Sorry to be so harsh but the pitch temp. was too high, the ferment temp too high and never use powder sugar as it contains corn starch to prevent caking.

4. Dump the bucket down the drain.

Sorry to be so harsh but the pitch temp. was too high, the ferment temp too high and never use powder sugar as it contains corn starch to prevent caking.

I'm gonna have to disagree with this statement. You will likely have some off-flavors that would prevent you from having an award-winning brew or anything, but I think, especially if you give it a couple extra weeks in the bottle, you'll have yourself a very drinkable beer (assuming you did everything else right).

I will agree that you should try and cool the ferment down significantly next time, and I would avoid using powdered sugar when you have other, much better options like DME, and even corn sugar.

It is probably done. Let it sit for a couple weeks, keeping it as cool as possible. I suspect you had Cooper's yeast, oddly enough. Most likely the Australian strain. "It produces a complex woody, fruity beer at warm temperatures."

Back