I want to build an insulated box for fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewIPA

Reaction score
Hi-
Im new to homebrewing (I've helped a friend with 3 batches and want to start my own) and am setting up/purchasing my own equipment. I saw a picture on these forums of a box-type thing that was insulated for fermenting a carboy at constant temperatures. I live in Flagstaff, AZ where (at the moment and pretty generally) the weather is cooler, and I was wondering if someone had DIY instructions. I figure there is going to need to be a hole for c02 to escape and I will also need something for temperature control ( like these NORTHERN BREWER: Fermentation Temperature Control) , other than that it seems like 6 sides of foam board insulation. Thanks for any help.

Adam

I am about to build two of them.

The base will be 13"x17", just big enough for a six gallon better bottle and a couple of frozen 2 liter soda bottles.

They will be just simple boxes of 2" foam board, glued together. The lid will overlap and be removable.

I don't think you need a hole for the CO2.

I am looking for a couple of cheap indoor/outdoor digital thermometers with a probes to use with them.

It may be easier (and better) to get a free broken refrigerator on Craigslist, if you can find a place to put it. PEople are always giving away free broken fridges.

Eventually, I'm going to build lagering chamber using a dorm fridge.

The little "coolers" I'm building now will be used to cool down fermenting ales in the summer, then. For now, in the winter, they will work fine for lagers.

Yeah, the little dorm fridges will start to go for super cheap when college gets out if you live in a college town. :mug:

Back