Pliny The Black Elder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travestian

Reaction score
EDIT: For some reason the original posting with the recipe info dropped all the info. Here is my best attempt at what it should have been.

Yeast: US-05
Starter: Yes
Primary Fermentation time and temp: 21 days @ 65F
Secondary Fermentation time and temp: 7 days @65F
OG: 1.073
FG: 1.015

Austinhomebrew.com had a deal this summer for a buy one get one free PtE clone 5 gal kit so I had to buy it. I brewed one of them and I really like it but I want to try something different with the other one.

If there is an * next to something if it is a change from the original clone. The grain bill minus the Carafa II is set because it is all in one bag already. Any other suggestions are very warranted and welcomed!

So here is my attempt at a black version of PtE

12.25 lbs Pale Ale
10 oz Carapils
10 oz Caramel 40L
2 lbs Carafa II *

1.25oz Columbus @60 (was 3.5oz @90) * (* deleted .75 oz Columbus @45)
1 oz Simcoe @30
2 oz Chinnok @0
1.25 oz Centennial @0
0.5 oz Simcoe @0
1.5 oz Simcoe Dry Hop 7 days
1.75 oz Columbus Dry Hop 7 days
1.75 oz Centennial Dry Hop 7 days

Austinhomebrew.com had a deal this summer for a buy one get one free PtE clone 5 gal kit so I had to buy it. I brewed one of them and I really like it but I want to try something different with the other one.

If there is an * next to something if it is a change from the original clone. The grain bill minus the Carafa II is set because it is all in one bag already. Any other suggestions are very warranted and welcomed!

So here is my attempt at a black version of PtE

12.25 lbs Pale Ale
10 oz Carapils
10 oz Caramel 40L
2 lbs Carafa II *

1.25oz Columbus @60 (was 3.5oz @90) * (* deleted .75 oz Columbus @45)
1 oz Simcoe @30
2 oz Chinnok @0
1.25 oz Centennial @0
0.5 oz Simcoe @0
1.5 oz Simcoe Dry Hop 7 days
1.75 oz Columbus Dry Hop 7 days
1.75 oz Centennial Dry Hop 7 days

Can you make this into an extract with specialty grains? Sounds great!!

Can you make this into an extract with specialty grains? Sounds great!!

Sure! Beersmith is giving me the following:

10 lbs 12.1 oz Pale Liquid Extract
1 lb 14.1 oz Carafa II
9.9 oz Carapils
9.9 oz Caramel 40L

Hop schedule remains the same of course.

To me everything looks good, except too much carafa I think. Your best bet would be to go with one pound of either Carafa special III, Black Prinz, or Midnight wheat.

To me everything looks good, except too much carafa I think. Your best bet would be to go with one pound of either Carafa special III, Black Prinz, or Midnight wheat.

Or even some de-bittered black. I do a black IPA and it only uses 8oz of de-bittered black and it comes out very dark with a very slight roast flavor.

2lbs is too much.

What color SRM do you guys shoot for with a black IPA? Because the other grains are set I was wanting to make sure color made it to where I want it.

30-35 SRM is what I usually aim for.

1 lb even of Carafa Special III puts it at 32.4 SRM according to beersmith. Sounds pretty good to me. I think this is the grain I'll probably go with. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Back