My pale ale stopped fermenting in 7 days...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHRGRS100

Reaction score
A this ok? I racked into primary 7 days ago. Was going strong and now nothing. Should I move to secondary or just keg it?

Take a gravity sample and record where it is. Take another in 3 days. If it's the same gravity and within the specified range for the recipes finish then you are good to do either. Personally I usually wait an extra week to give the yeast more time to drop out before I transfer, but if you're kegging it shouldn't really matter. You will have a few yeasty pulls for the first few glasses.

Gravity is key, as mentioned, but I routinely have ferms done in a week. In fact, most of the time this is the case except some lagers. Still, raising temp 5 degrees (to room temps) and letting it sit for a few days before cold-crashing is a good idea to let it clean up.

Definitely check the gravity to be sure like the others have mentioned, but it's pretty typical for an average gravity beer to have the krausen fall back within 7 days. Although, there's no rush to rack or keg. You could leave it in your primary for a couple more weeks with no ill effects.

Two to three days after first krausen to attain FG is standard for me. I then leave the beer a couple more days, crach cool/fine and package usually within 7 to 10 days. I brew mainly english ales which means that I want some fermentation by-products. Getting the beer off the yeast after its done cleaning diacetyl/acetaldehyde helps that flavour profile because I keep most of the esters. For your standard american pale with a 1.050+ starting gravity, leaving the beer a few weeks in the primary won't hurt the beer and might even be beneficial since you want a cleaner fermentation profile most of the time anyway.

Yep. I agree with the previous three posters. Just because you've hit your terminal gravity doesn't mean the beer is finished; the yeast still needs time to clean up the nasty by-products of fermentation such as diacetyl and acetaldehyde. Let it sit another week or so.

I love this home brew app! Everyone is super helpful.

image-308403765.jpg

This is my setup! Love it! And you guys are great help!

My next question, I transfer to my keg, bump the psi to what, 30? For good conditioning/carb?

I love this home brew app! Everyone is super helpful.

View attachment 77897

This is my setup! Love it! And you guys are great help!

That is a real purty setup you've got there! I have been looking at the TopTier for some time, but I think I might buy a pump and get a flat rig.

On the top of the thread, I prefer to give my yeast a full week after fermentation is finished (gravity readings stop dropping) and let the yeast do their cleanup. During this phase, I generally leave the beer in a warmer spot ~75F to make sure they are active enough to do a nice cleanup job.

My next question, I transfer to my keg, bump the psi to what, 30? For good conditioning/carb?

It depends on the beer and the temp. At 32F, CO2 will infuse into the beer more quickly. I just finished kegging a brown ale. I left it in the keg at 50F and 30psi for 36 hours. I bled the keg and knocked it down to 8psi and it was beautifully carbed.

Back