$5 MLT Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
So, I just picked up a 48qt Igloo IceCube...about $15

I was thinking of how to convert it and just decided to go organic and walk around Lowes until it hit me...this is what I came out with

4907-mlt3.JPG

The heart of it...a 3/8" Comp w/Insert Watts #A-110. One side is just screwed into the little plastic spigot and the other end has 3/8" OD tubing...OH Important, I flipped the spigot around so that this would screw in.

4907-mlt2.JPG

Another shot, kinda blurry

4907-mlt1.JPG

Inside, SS braid held onto the small part of the spigot with a SS hose clamp.

So, it came out like this:

3/8" Comp Union $2.77
3' 3/8"OD Tubing $0.60
SS hose clamp $1

Guess that comes out less that $5 :drunk: I already had the braid.

I hope this helps someone out there...

Happy Brewing

Question: Without an operable spigot, how do you stop the flow? Just elevate the outlet tube above the top level of the mash?

I was thinking the same thing as Evan. I guess you could put a clamp on the hose as well.

Evan! said:
Question: Without an operable spigot, how do you stop the flow? Just elevate the outlet tube above the top level of the mash?

methinks yes

Evan! said:
Yep, if the hose is draped up and over like it is in the picture, it won't drain.

I'm not too worried about it though, I wanted a specific cool, for shape, size, and [gay]color[/gay]

bigben said:
Yea I feel ya. I got a 5 gallon round cooler for about $15 :/

I've got a 5 gallon setup and actually like it. I can do up to 12 lbs of grain easily and could probably do a bit more if I pressed my luck. No high gravity stuff in there, but I can always figure out a way to do that later. Don't diss the tiny cooler. ;)

bigben said:
Yea I feel ya. I got a 5 gallon round cooler for about $15 :/

I got a 3 gal round cooler from rubbermaid for $25 (for PMs). They ended up shipping 8 coolers to me and when I called them they said I can keep em.
So...

$25 =
2 3gal coolers for me
1 for my brother in law
5 to the LHBS where they gave me $40 store credit.

:D

How well does this cooler keep temp during the mash?

I saw it at WM for $16, but was worried about the thin walls. I have all the other parts to convert (if I strip my 5 gal), so I'd be able to go full on AG if this is a good mash cooler.

Well, to be honest....I didn't brew this weekend *SHOCK

I wanted too but I was too hungover and I had other **** to do. Hopefully I can get it on tonight or Wednesday...I'd be kinda risky though so I might be forced to wait till next weekend.

I would think it's a good cooler for a MLT bc lots of folks are using them. I know Yuri does and I think others around here do.

Here, check out this google search:

[ame]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&rls=GGLD%2CGGLD%3A2004-53%2CGGLD%3Aen&q=igloo+ice+cube+MLT[/ame]

I say do it! If $15 is all thats keeping you from AG then go for it

greenhornet said:
Well, to be honest....I didn't brew this weekend *SHOCK

I wanted too but I was too hungover and I had other **** to do. Hopefully I can get it on tonight or Wednesday...I'd be kinda risky though so I might be forced to wait till next weekend.

I would think it's a good cooler for a MLT bc lots of folks are using them. I know Yuri does and I think others around here do.

Here, check out this google search:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-53,GGLD:en&q=igloo+ice+cube+MLT

I say do it! If $15 is all thats keeping you from AG then go for it

Well keep me updated on how it goes, your preheat technique, etc.

Where can you get a SS braid like that Alamo? I know my HBS doesnt have it. Anyone know without getting it online/

Oh is it just the braid that usually is used as the line from the water valve to the toilet? How do you get the other end to close off?

First you cut the ends off, pull the rubber hose out, then fold one end over twice and smack it with a hammer. You can alternatively put a brass plug in the end and use a hose clamp (I think this is a fancier way to do it and it also serves as a weight to hold the braid down).

Back