New Zealand beer stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caboose

Reaction score
So my brother is visiting our mum in New Zealand for the next 2 weeks, which I am very jealous of him for. But he did offer to bring back anything he could find beer related for me.

So what I am looking for is anything that I could use to make beer that is pretty much only found in NZ. Anything like hops, yeasts, grains, stuff like that.

Anyone know of anything I should have him look for?

They have their own type of haulertau Mittlefruh,clean woodsy,citrusy notes. Their Pacific Gem sounds good too. Said to have aroma of blackberries with woodsy notes.

Pride of Ringwood hops are austrailian but are kinda hard to source here. I like them when I can get them.

Good luck getting your bro back by plane with little baggies of herby green stuff.

Pride of Ringwood hops are austrailian but are kinda hard to source here. I like them when I can get them.

Good luck getting your bro back by plane with little baggies of herby green stuff.

Lolz,I didn't think of it that way. I wonder if the drug dogs would mistake them for...?! Anyway,imo,Pride of Ringwood is neutral (clean),with a slight fruitiness. All Cooper's OS kits get that one for bittering only.

No one seemed to give a flying f--- when I flew out of Australia with a can of Cooper's ginger beer extract a few years back, and I'm pretty sure it's banned in the US because of the cyclamates.

Going back into Aus/NZ though, they have dogs looking for people with food. Saw them make a mother w/ baby and stroller dump a bag of baby food in jars because of the restrictions.

Coming into the US shouldn't be an issue.

I would love a rhizome of POR. I've found a guy in the states that is sending me one. I'm pretty excited.

Looks like he's got a big job ahead of him! Lol

I will be there next Tuesday for a month. Anyone want me to be a hop mule? I charge 30%. [sarcasm].

A friend of the wife's just went ot Auckland for a month, told her to bring back some local craft beers if she can. I should have hit her up cor some ingredients first. Maybe I'll bite the LD charges and ask herto mail some hops :)

Ask for some local spices, that'd be awesome.

Get him to bring back some Emerson's.

And the Kiwis are even more anal than the Aussies about quarantine, so maybe warn him that his shoes should be clean, and be honest on the customs form.

Get him to bring back some Emerson's.

+1, emersons is delicious.

I would also pick up some Yeasty Boys and Croucher if possible. If he gets a chance he should drop by Galbraiths Alehouse in Mt. Eden, Auckland. We specialize in delicious cask ales.

That was awesome! OR should I say Epic! I swear the guy with the crazy hair everyone was my cousin in Australia!

gclay said:
A friend of the wife's just went ot Auckland for a month, told her to bring back some local craft beers if she can. I should have hit her up cor some ingredients first. Maybe I'll bite the LD charges and ask herto mail some hops :)

Ask for some local spices, that'd be awesome.

Hops may get destroyed by customs !! I tried getting Pride of Ringwood sent to the States and no luck, customs destroyed contents:-( may be easier to try checking them in luggage!!!

+1, emersons is delicious.

I would also pick up some Yeasty Boys and Croucher if possible. If he gets a chance he should drop by Galbraiths Alehouse in Mt. Eden, Auckland. We specialize in delicious cask ales.

I'll let him know, if you have an american come in, its problably him! Give him a hard time for me!

Im extremely jealous that he is over there right now. I havent been on New Zealand soil since I was 5, its been 19 years. I miss it dearly, and my mum.

They went on a jet boat ride yesterday at Huka Falls....

There's a local brewery here in Nelson having a competition. Message me your email address and I'll send you an invite!

Back