Asus or Acer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

html034

Reaction score
Hey, I need your input. I am planning to buy a new computer, and I have it narrowed down to two but I can't decide. The two choices that I am looking at are the Asus eee 1000he and the Acer Aspire One.

I like the Asus in terms of looks and battery life, and I hear that the keyboard is better, but the Acer has virtually identical stats and is 55 bucks cheaper. I am in college and I am looking at the "netbooks" for portability and affordability, and since I use a computer mostly just to access the internet, use microsoft office programs and a few other programs like itunes and promash and what have you. Does anyone have experience with either of these computers and have any thoughts?

Also does anyone know as to what office programs either one comes with? I can't seem to find this information.

Last edited by a moderator:
they are both decent machines, I've used acer's before with no problems have not had the opportunity to work with Asus though, as far as the office programs they usually will not come with any unless you request them and it costs extra.

for whatever it's worth I bought my fiance the Eee, and the thing really goes 8 hours with wifi on and the screen brightness halfway. If the battery life is important, get the Eee, if it isn't, get the Aspire.

Oh, and as for office, as ecancel brings up, Eee comes with StarOffice, an OpenOffice derivative, which writes and reads .doc, .ppt, .xls or any other office format you use normally (unless you're using the newest office with XML output, .docx, .pptx, etc.)

Asus Eee. A few reasons:

1. Asus Eee PC has been in the game longer, and have a more refined product.
2. More "5 star" ratings than the Acer.
3. Asus makes the circuitboards and components that go into their computers.
4. CPU FSB is faster on the Asus
5. Better battery life (9.5hrs vs. 6.5hrs)
6. Wireless is b/g/n vs. Acer only b/g

Oh, and BTW...Amazon drop-ships both of these from NewEgg.com. If you haven't shopped there, I highly recommend them. They stand behind the products they sell, and their customer service is outstanding. Amazon isn't bad, but they act more as a proxy for business than anything else.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115552
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220504

i have the 1000he, its the ****, I have it tethered to my blackberry and get mobile broadband anywhere at no addtnl cost (tmobile), the battery life is outstanding, the display is crisp.

I bought this netbook just to have something a little more portable than my 15.4, but ended up sellign the fullsize laptop a couple weeks after i got my 1000he, i bought it when it was first released which was around early march IIRC, absolutely love it.

depending on where you are lookign to buy it from you can get cash back via bing.com. (formerly live cashback) i bought mine from tigerdirect and dodged the sales tax, and got 9% cashback.

two other sites that offer cashback that is easier to locate are fatwallet, and ebates.com

GF bought an Acer and loves it. Simple email/surfing machine. We had a hard time getting it because the guys at staples kept trying to sell us the HP model and it was horrible. The Acer was on sale and most stores were sold out.

My Mother has an Asus Eee and she loves it too.

Either one would be fine. I recomend upgrading the memory yourself because it will give you a performance boost and memory is cheap right now.

I have an Acer Aspire One... the 8" screen, the fully loaded version with the 6.5 hour battery (which lasts me 8 hours).

This is a hot little machine, everyone I run into wants it and several have already bought them.

i've got an asus and love it.

as far as office software, go to openoffice.org

it's a free office download that works like microsoft office and it will read MS docs that you open

I'd choose the Asus, and as for office, if you have someone in the family who goes to school, you can get the M$ office for very cheap and load on up to 3 computers. If not, I'd go with Open Office, which is basically the same thing and almost completely compatible.

i have the mini12 from dell and its a little larger then i like. if i were to buy again id go with either the hp or the lenovo 10" both have express card slots for expansion. id also try to push off the purchase until the new cpu's come out. dual cores and better power control. if you cant put it off for a few months then id jump on any of them as they are all great machines.

Back