How to cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudz

Reaction score
I want to give cold crashing a shot but I'm concerned this may limit the priming action?

I'm assuming you just drop the temp at the end of your secondary period to about 34 degrees and hold it there for a couple of days. Then rack to the primed bottling bucket and bottle as usual?

Will this limit the yeast available for priming? Any valid concerns here?

Thanks...

You will have plenty of yeast in suspension with a cold crash...enough to prime in a bottling bucket at least...even with a cold crash of weeks (lagering I suppose at that point). It might just take longer to carbonate as the yeast multiply again . The only methods that may have a serious impact on priming would be filtering through micron sized filters and pasteurization.

I'm planning to cold crash the kolsch I'm brewing at the moment and had the same concern. Just for safety, at bottling I'm going to add a pinch of US05 to ensure it carbs up okay.

Back