Can a vigorous fermentation be a sign that something went wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impatient

Reaction score
This was my first AG and it is a relatively low gravity brew. The OG came in at 1.055.

I mashed 10lbs of Vienna in at 158 with 14 quarts for 1 hour. Then I sparged with 14 quarts at 170.

I boiled 1 oz of Fuggel for 60 minutes, got a nice cold break (kind of cool seeing everything form like that) cooling to 80 in less than five minutes.

I strained everything into the primary and then pitched that starter.

However, I did something, I thought would be OK. At the beginning of the boil when the hot break let up, I stole about a cup of wort from the pot and cooled it to 80 degrees. Then I pitched my yeast into that and ended up with this about 15 minutes later.

IMG_0907.JPG

Now, after 18 hours I am about to have a mess on my hands.

IMG_09121.JPG

I left plenty of head space?

I was wondering if something could have happened during the mash to result in such high fermentability. I targeted 158 to add more body to the beer. When I started the sparge the temp had only dropped 2 degrees to 156. The only thing I could think of is that the thermometer was off and I was below 153.

You pitched a bit warm at 80 degrees however; remember, fermentation is an exothermic reaction.

Vigorous fermentation is quite normal with many strains (including Nottingham), but it's just something to be mindful of.

You pitched a bit warm at 80 degrees however; remember, fermentation is an exothermic reaction.

Vigorous fermentation is quite normal with many strains (including Nottingham), but it's just something to be mindful of.

Do you think my thermometer was off during the mash and I will end up with a watery beer?

How do I check to make sure my thermometer is right?

Do you think my thermometer was off during the mash and I will end up with a watery beer?

How do I check to make sure my thermometer is right?

Why do you think your thermometer is off? According to Beer Alchemy, 10 lbs of Victory should lend a post-boil gravity of 1.048 (assuming 8 gallons pre-boil down to 6 gallons at flame-out).

Why do you think your thermometer is off? According to Beer Alchemy, 10 lbs of Victory should lend a post-boil gravity of 1.048 (assuming 8 gallons pre-boil down to 6 gallons at flame-out).

I picked 158 as my mash target to increase unfermentables. I am hoping that the vigorous fermentation is not a sign that everything got converted, meaning my mash temp was off, resulting in a watery beer.

I just have to wait and see what happens.

I heard people talk of calibrating there thermometers, I was just wondering if I needed to check mine.

Are you saying I should have brought the wort down to 66 before pitching. I guess this would make sense. I bet the wort is still higher than the basement tempurature since fermentation produces some heat. I doubt it could maintain 80 degrees thought, or, I certainly hope not. I don't like bananaas.

Diacetyl is a bigger issue from a high fermentation temp. It's pretty nasty, although I found I liked it until I was able to recognize it as an off flavor...now it turns my stomach. Weird.

I heard people talk of calibrating there thermometers, I was just wondering if I needed to check mine.

Calibrating a thermometer is easy. You just need to check the reading against known values-- 212° for boiling and 32° in ice water; adjust accordingly. The dial style thermometers usually have an adjustment nut where you can fine tune.

Notty is a vigorous fermenter, even ambient 68*F I had to use a water bath and ice to keep the fermenter below 70*F last time I fermented with it.

I recommend using foam control drops if you are worried about blowoff. I had a beer start to blow off this morning, pulled the airlock out and put in some foam control drops. The krausen dropped within a few seconds.

80*F is warm to pitch but I generally pitch the English strains warm on purpose (70-75*F) and cool down to mid 60's since they have a tendency to flocc out if you pitch them too cold.

A vigorous fermentation is rarely ever a problem, but I would check the thermometer's calibration. Worst case for this batch, you can add some maltodextrin to improve the body if needed.

The best way to calibrate a thermometer is an alcohol bath. An alcohol/water mix (AKA cheap vodka) will boil at 172F. I just put an empty aluminum can in a pan of water, add the vodka and heat. (People who flunked high school chemistry need not post that this technique is dangerous. It isn't.)

Back