Orange Peel in a Mac and Jacks Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all-

Going to try a Mac and Jacks (greatest beer ever- If you are from WA state, you've had it) clone today.. thinking of tossing in a few dried bitter orange peel to get a little more "citrusy" type flavor that thius beer is known for.. I've never used orange peel and I wonder if the orange peels I bought (just says dried bitter orange peel) is the same as dried valencia orange peels that I have read about other poeople using.. Also, does it go into the boil? If so, how long in the boil? The full 60 minutes? What kind of flavor can I expect? I am thinking of using a half oz.....

Thanks and wish me luck..

Chris

Throw them in your secondary fementer for a couple weeks. Make sure they are sanitized

Yeah, I'm just finishing a Belgian Wit that used bitter orange peel. Went in for the last 15 of the boil. Came out with a hint of orange peel aroma and a noticeable bitterness. Very tasty.

thanks guys-

I will not be using the orange peel in this batch.. I am looking for "fruity" not bitter.. I think I should get the fruity esters from the use of the cascade hops and the british ale yeast.. Or at least I hope.... Anyone else a MAc and Jacks fan? They are out of Redmond, WA and their African Amber Ale is to die for.....

Huge fan here. It's my next brew in the order. I have to find a 1/2 Grain 1/2 Extract recipe as I'm not set up for all grain yet but want the body of the all grain.

As a Noobie take these thoughts for what you will... maybe someone with experience could comment on this thought line?

I was thinking you could take fresh orange peel and squeeze the peel to release the oils for flavor. I was thinking you could do that as you transfered to the secondary for the most bang for the effort and least likely to infect the beer as the alcohol is already present. Then after 2-3 weeks in secondary keg and age as needed until the flavors are balanced.

I made an African Amber clone recently and it came out great, I dry hopped with some fresh 2008 Cascades I bought. It's really amazing the aroma and taste difference between these really fresh hops and the 2007 packages my LHBS is still selling.

Huge fan here. It's my next brew in the order. I have to find a 1/2 Grain 1/2 Extract recipe as I'm not set up for all grain yet but want the body of the all grain.

As a Noobie take these thoughts for what you will... maybe someone with experience could comment on this thought line?

I was thinking you could take fresh orange peel and squeeze the peel to release the oils for flavor. I was thinking you could do that as you transfered to the secondary for the most bang for the effort and least likely to infect the beer as the alcohol is already present. Then after 2-3 weeks in secondary keg and age as needed until the flavors are balanced.

I don't know why this would not work.. Like you said, alcohol is present already so bacteria should not be a huge concern... Although, I dont know how many oranges you would need to actually squeeze enough oil to make a difference... Seems like it might be a lot....

I made an African Amber clone recently and it came out great, I dry hopped with some fresh 2008 Cascades I bought. It's really amazing the aroma and taste difference between these really fresh hops and the 2007 packages my LHBS is still selling.

I bet it makes a a huge difference.. I used a mix of 2007 leaf cascades and 2008 pellets.... I hope it turns out good.. Unfortunately, and as usual with my first six all grain attempts (this was my 7th), I missed my OG...Oh well, I am sure it will still be a good brew...

I think that you would still get more bitterness than fruit flavor with that technique.

Do you think you might be able to post the recipe? I too love that beer.
Thanks.

Hey CentralWABrewer- Central Washington guy myself.. Born and raised in Yakima but living in Colfax now while getting my Masters at WSU.. Whereabouts you at?

As for the recipe, if you go the REcipes section above and search American Ale, you will find OhioDad's version of this recipe that is an adaption of a BYO Replicator Recipe.. Or, if I am doing this right, you can just follow this link..

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/zach-jacks-african-amber-52052/

If you still cant find it let me know and I will post it here for you.. I made one version of this several weeks ago, but I used dry yeast and that really changed the flavor profile a lot..... FYI, OhioDad has changed the recipe slightly from the BYO version by adding an extra .5lb of Crystal and an extra .5 oz of Cascades for dry-hopping as well as some extra aroma cascades- REad his thread about the recipe to see what flavor changes it made.

I've done a mack and jack's clone that wasn't all that good, it was a fine beer but didn't taste like Mac & jacks. I got it out of the "BREW" magazine's 100 clone recipe issue. It did have the fruity aroma that you're thinking of, but I'm 99% sure its from cascade hops and the right yeast and more importantly the right yeast temperatures.

I've done a mack and jack's clone that wasn't all that good, it was a fine beer but didn't taste like Mac & jacks. I got it out of the "BREW" magazine's 100 clone recipe issue. It did have the fruity aroma that you're thinking of, but I'm 99% sure its from cascade hops and the right yeast and more importantly the right yeast temperatures.

Rook- did you follow the recipe exactly and use the British Ale yeast? This recipe is little more jacked up on hops and color.. I am hoping it comes at least reasonably close.. At least closer than the last batch I made...

Bullrider4-
the link worked, thanks!
As for myself, I'm in Ellensburg but work out of Yakima(so hard not to type Crackima:D )
Gonna try this recipe out. Thanks again.
Masters? WSU? What's your study?

bullrider 4, I followed the recipe exactly as the magazine had it, but I don't remember what yeast the magazine recommended, its been a while and I don't know where the magazine is right now. If this the magazine you're using, then yes, I followed it 100%

byo150_1576_general.jpg

Bullrider4-
the link worked, thanks!
As for myself, I'm in Ellensburg but work out of Yakima(so hard not to type Crackima:D )
Gonna try this recipe out. Thanks again.
Masters? WSU? What's your study?

Hey there-

I am studying horticulture... My Masters work is actually on potato fertility and nitrogen rates.. My research plots are in Othello so I spend most of the summer driving back and forth from Pulman to Othello.. What a drag.. My grandma lives in E-burg.. We are going to be in E-burg in a couple weeks for the Spirit of the West Cowboy Gathering.... Can't wait.....

Use sweet orange peel in this one for the flavor add at 30 min, a half ounce per 5 gallon, you can either use dried , or fresh, both work great. The fresh takes a little longer to settle down in the bottle, but the dried tastes great right away.

I followed the BYO recipe to a T and hadn't had this beer in quite some time. I use to live in Seattle and had easy access to it, but not down here. Anyways, I pulled the first pint 2 nights ago and this stuff if amazing.

I will be brewing this again.

I followed the BYO recipe to a T and hadn't had this beer in quite some time. I use to live in Seattle and had easy access to it, but not down here. Anyways, I pulled the first pint 2 nights ago and this stuff if amazing.

I will be brewing this again.

Congrats-
How close was it to the real Mac and Jacks?

Well I finally got my second attempt at this clone bottled about 5 days ago and tonight I am gonna crack one (I cant wait).. I'll let you guys know my first impressions... I ended up not using the orange peel, but I may try it in my next batch.. I am going to continue to brew this until I get it:mug: dialed in.. Maybe I'll get lucky and this batch will be it!!

Well I finally got my second attempt at this clone bottled about 5 days ago and tonight I am gonna crack one (I cant wait).. I'll let you guys know my first impressions... I ended up not using the orange peel, but I may try it in my next batch.. I am going to continue to brew this until I get it:mug: dialed in.. Maybe I'll get lucky and this batch will be it!!

Good luck, I am having one of mine right now as I brew another batch up.

Well, it's been 6 days in the bottle now and I finally cracked one ( I know, I know, I couldnt wait).. Color is spectacular, slightly cloudy like M and J African Amber.. There is definite hops aroma, but it gives way to a nice malt smell. not to pungent. Big thick creamy head (which, as I recall, Mac and Jacks African Amber genreally doesnt have a thick head). The citrus, grapefruit flavors are definitely there, but this batch is not quite as malty as African Amber.. It's definitely more on the hoppy side. Now, having said that, I undershot my OG substantially, so I should expect a little thinner beer. But I still think next time, I may cut back on the boiling hops a little. However there is enough malt and citrus character that you can definitely taste some of that African Amber flavor. It should be much better in another week or two.. I'll keep you posted:mug:

the recipe out of BYO 150 was the best one yet. it's closer to the old mac&jacks. since they split, the new recipe is different. nuttier and less fruity. i like the old one.

I like the old fruity one too.
I substitutes Cascades as I couldn't get Centenial... Big Mistake.
Very Hopy Grassy, and not the color I wanted, it's too light yet nothing like a Bud or Miller. I'm going to wait and give it more time to let the Dry Hop "Over Hopped" die down.

I'll try and brew it again in the fall as I love it as a winter "Kick". I'll do the same for the Alt Bier I brewed in Dec (that one was good) I'm going to bump it up a bit in ABV though as I've read that it's a common practice with Alt Bier.

Cheers Glad to hear the recipe is a good one when addhered to strictly.

i used an ounce of sweet orange peel in a real hoppy ipa, and i just cracked my first bottle after one week. too much orange taste so far. it needs some more conditioning, so i'm hoping it'll mellow a bit. later i read the package, and it says use 1/2 oz per 5 gallon batch. whoops.....it'll probably end up being my best beer yet. haha

i used an ounce of sweet orange peel in a real hoppy ipa, and i just cracked my first bottle after one week. too much orange taste so far. it needs some more conditioning, so i'm hoping it'll mellow a bit. later i read the package, and it says use 1/2 oz per 5 gallon batch. whoops.....it'll probably end up being my best beer yet. haha

i hear a little goes a long way:)

Saw this thread for the first time today, thought i would contribute. I made the "Zach's Mac n Jacks" clone a while ago and turned out ok. I did think it was a little too hoppy so i'm still waiting for that to diminish a little. But overall, i like it. Now that i live in Mass., it's hard to compare to the real thing, but my memory thinks its pretty close. I may try making this again now that i have more experience since i made some mistakes the first time i made this.

I am two batches into this brew now.. I tried Zachs version both times. Very good and highly drinkable, but too much hop flavor compared to the original. for the third batch, which I hope to make soon, I will follow BYO's version and see how it turns out (less hops).. Too much hop flavor can definitely impact this brew, especially if you are trying to get as close to the original as possible. The British yeast is a must, IMHO.. really imparts the citrus flavors.

Have a batch kegged as we speak, will be carbed hopefully in 2 days. Will post results then. Can't wait!!

Yeah, i did my undergrad in Seattle, so i drank lots of Mac and Jacks. Definitely miss that beer, hopefully this one comes out similar.

Yeah, i did my undergrad in Seattle, so i drank lots of Mac and Jacks. Definitely miss that beer, hopefully this one comes out similar.

:off:

Oh no.. you aren't a nasty old Husky are ya??? ;)

Finishing up my Masters at WSU.. Hence, I had no choice...

Go Cougs!

Seriously though, be sure to post your results!

Groosbrews: I'm subscribed to this thread, forge ahead! Mac & Jack's is righteous beer, I'm going to brew this when you give me the go ahead.

I was born in Yakima too, now live in Wenatchee, love this place.

Back