What ale yeast for a marzen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerjb

Reaction score
So, a friend of mine doesn't have the time/space to brew right now, but had recently bought the grains and hops for a marzen. I have no idea what the grain bill is, since it's all milled together already.

I'm hoping to brew this thursday, but have to figure out both the hop schedule, and what yeast to use. Unfortunately I don't have the ability to lager, I usually ferment my ales at 64* in a big bin with water and frozen bottles in it.

So, first off, what should i do for yeast? I've got some washed wyeast 1028 in the fridge, but i realize that's pretty different for the flavor profile. Though, I did notice that people have used some typically british yeast strains in BM's OktoberFAST. Would a Kolsch be better? Or the German Ale strain?

Second, the hop bill is 1 oz Perle, 1 oz Spaalt. I was thinking Perle for 60, Spaalt at 15. Sound about right?

And finally, I'm assuming a 90 minute boil, given that it's got Pils in the grain. Typical 60 minute mash though? And should I shoot for 152 or 154?

Thanks guys!

If you get the grain bill right and you decoct some of the mash, you can get away with US-05/1056/001. Just don't let fermentation get about 63F maximum. I have tasted "Oktoberfest"s made with 1056 and they were great. If it were me and I had the choice, I'd go with the Kolsch strain...

A true Marzen is a lager, not an ale...;)

absolutely, but free beer is free, even if you tweak the recipe. i wish i had the ability to lager, but it's not a style i'm really seeking out to brew anytime soon, aside from this free batch. trying to work with what i have and find the next best thing. i probably should have mentioned that part initially, ha.

well, if the LHBS has something german, i may go with that... thanks!

I haven't used the Alt yeast (WLP036), but I did an Oktoberfest Ale last year with the Kolsch WLP026 and thought it turned out great.

absolutely, but free beer is free, even if you tweak the recipe. i wish i had the ability to lager, but it's not a style i'm really seeking out to brew anytime soon, aside from this free batch. trying to work with what i have and find the next best thing. i probably should have mentioned that part initially, ha.

well, if the LHBS has something german, i may go with that... thanks!

There was an article in BYO that said the CLOSEST brew to an O'fest Marzen is an Irish Ale. ;)

There was an article in BYO that said the CLOSEST brew to an O'fest Marzen is an Irish Ale. ;)

I never saw that article but I was thinking the same thing. I would say Rauchbier is the lager version of Porter. I'd loved to see something that compares styles based on lager versus ale...

I made an Oktoberfest this year, still conditioning, with the frisco lager yeast from white labs. Make a big starter, let it ferment at 60-65 for 2 weeks,(mine was 60) secondary/lager for a long time and it tastes great. Very crisp and clean. I guess you'd need to bottle before lagering. I kegged mine for aging.

okay, i'm brewing this tonight.

does that hop schedule sounds about right?

Perle at 60
Spaalt at 15

and, can I single infusion mash at like 152?

Back