British Brown Ale Abscission Ale (Tumbler clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
wlp001
Yeast Starter
Y
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 65°F
Tasting Notes
Smooth and rich - a perfect Autumn beer!
Not sure if this is an English- or American-style brown ale...basically English-style ingredients except for the yeast. I brewed this to be similar to SN's Tumbler and it turned out to be one of the best beers I've brewed. I was shooting for a slightly higher OG and a slightly lower FG (was shooting for about a 5% ABV), but the numbers here worked well. I used some brown malt, not listed on Sierra Nevada's website, because it just seemed right for this style of beer. I didn't do a side by side, so I don't know how close I got to a clone, but regardless, this recipe is a keeper.

note unconventional batch size (3.75 gallons)

Recipe Specifications
Batch Size: 3.75 gal
Estimated Color: 22.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 28.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.018
ABV: 4.2%

Grist
6 lbs Pale Malt, UK - 80.3 %
12.0 oz Brown Malt - 10.0 %
6.0 oz Crystal Malt (45L) - 5.0 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450L) - 3.3 %
1.5 oz Smoked Malt - 1.3 %

Hops
14 g Challenger [5.70 %] - 60.0 min
14 g Challenger [5.70 %] - 15.0 min
14 g EKG [5.70 %] - 15.0 min

Yeast
California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

Mash Schedule
Single infusion, 153ºF, batch sparge

brown_ale.jpg

I really like this beer from SN. Too bad they are discontinuing it. I think it's more an American Brown ale.

Would like to brew up a nice fresh Brown ale even if it isn't exactly like Tumbler

I'm not up to All Grain yet. So does 4 1/2 pounds of DME sound right?

I really like this beer from SN. Too bad they are discontinuing it. I think it's more an American Brown ale.

Would like to brew up a nice fresh Brown ale even if it isn't exactly like Tumbler

I'm not up to All Grain yet. So does 4 1/2 pounds of DME sound right?

I hadn't heard they are discontinuing it!!! That is really too bad - it is a fantastic beer. Good thing I have this recipe to make my own version.

For a 3.75 gallon batch (like the one here) 4.5 lbs of DME might be enough...though I might up it to an even 5 lbs. If you're going to make a standard 5 gallon batch, you'll need more (probably somewhere around 6 lbs).

Let me know if you decide to brew this - I'd love to know how an extract version turns out. :mug:

I hadn't heard they are discontinuing it!!! That is really too bad - it is a fantastic beer. Good thing I have this recipe to make my own version.

For a 3.75 gallon batch (like the one here) 4.5 lbs of DME might be enough...though I might up it to an even 5 lbs. If you're going to make a standard 5 gallon batch, you'll need more (probably somewhere around 6 lbs).

Let me know if you decide to brew this - I'd love to know how an extract version turns out. :mug:

I understand it won't be around too much longer. Unfortunately I think they have fallen prey to the "hop" bug. Probably replace it with an IPA.

I have Brew Target and may try to plug in the DME and see how much for a 5 Gallon batch and then may try to take this on sometime over the spring/summer.

That's a beautiful beer and a really nice photograph. Looks like homebrewing is not your only hobby. I'm gonna have to add this one to the schedule.

That's a beautiful beer and a really nice photograph. Looks like homebrewing is not your only hobby. I'm gonna have to add this one to the schedule.

Thanks! This is a really nice beer. And yes, before homebrewing, photography was one of my hobbies...now I only seem to take pictures of my beer!

Back